Home Chat Race Chat

Stratfod Tri

trudgertrudger Posts: 61
Does anybody have any tips/comments about the Stratford Tri on the 14th May.

I am a complete novice to tri's (previously a keen but not very fast 10K runner). Hoping to use this as a learning experiance and set a starting PB for future events.

Is this a well organised event that a newcomer will not find daunting/intimidating?

any advice appreciated.[:)]

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Hi Trudger..

I don't have anything for you at the minute but I am planning to recce the bike ride and will look at the sportes centre as well this weekend...will let you know Monday..

what time are you off?

Ian

• fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    hi,

i live quite close to stratford and did the race last year, to be honest i wasn't that impressed, the pool is quite nice, being 33 metres, but there was it was a little busy in there on race day, it is the biggest pool based tri in the country i think so bound to be hectic in the pool, transition is ok,

the bike is fairly flat and fast, the first 8ish miles are very fast with only a few small undulations, at around mile 8 there is one hill, not too steep and about a mile lonjg, this is up a busy dual carriageway but not too bad, after that it's more or less all down hill with a flat mile or two to finish, i did the route yesterday in 40 mins, and its about 14.5 miles, think my average was just under 21mph.

the run, this is over a field and along the river bank, again very congested with runners using the riverbank track in both directions, you have to run up and down the river 2or 3 times i think.

as for the organisation that was excellent as always, really friendly and proffessional and also a lot of retailers there too.

it's a good first time race i think but i'm not convinced i'd do it twice, maybe as it's only down the road and most of my club do it.

loony, if you want to meet sometime at the weekend at the sports centre i'll do the bike ride with you, most of it is quite nice countryside. let me know here or email me.

i hope i haven't put you off, but i did enjoy the race last year, just a little crowded, but then more people around pushes you on a bit,

good luck

fatmatt
    nice one fatmatt...

It will probably be Sunday...not sure of the time but anytime suits me so it there is a time you can't do let me know...

I aint up to doing it in 40minutes though but I will give it a good effort..that said my target is 36 for the day so it will an interesting test

Doh!!! 36 I wish ....46 i ment though after my ride with club last night It will be more like 56...
    12 is better for me but 11 is ok, let me know,

cheers

fatmatt,

ok, me and the loony did the stratford course this morning,

just a gentle ride round to look over the course, it was stratford marathon day so busy roads through town, should be better next weekend, can't say i'm convinced yet but i put my entry in today anyway, mainly because it's close and a few of my club are doing it, so there'shealthy competition.

i've now got startford next weekend, blenheim the week after, grendon the week after that and then weymouth half ironman the week after that? i'm thinking this is too much? but it's all good training and i'll take stratford and grendon steady.

see you on sunday whoever is racing, good luck

fatmatt
    as fatmatt says it was a gentle ride...as cyclist of less talent than matt I can say the course is fairly easy though save a tad for the hill (only about a 5 minute effort) at about half way then you simply have a fast downhill (some undulations but shouldn't cause trauma) blast to the end.

Matt - cheers to your time yesterday..can't make swimming tonite as I have the unique joys of asda to contend with.

mate, i'm not talented, there's just a lot of me to push the pedals round,

swimming is every week sun and mon just turn up if you want, put my entry for stratford in so see you sunday

fatmatt
    didn't say how talented you were just I was less so...

Nice re your entry...don't think you need to worry about me beating you though...

hows the knees?

loony,

my knees feel much better after adjusting the seat height and realigning my feet, might even trya run this week before stratford. just been out and had another ride round the stratford course, absolutely flat out, pleased with the time but i couldn't walk let alone run after , so iu think i'll slow a little on sunday

good luck, see you sunday

fatmatt
    Matt,

Good to here the knee are back on track...what was your time?

Do you have a start time?

Ian

the time was just over 36 minutes, but that was really flat out.

my start time is 11:26 for sunday, i think it's bacause i entered late so was just stuck on the end.

see you sunday

fatmatt
    36 is a good haul

you'll just be starting as i hopefully will be finishing..

yeah I back the stuck on the end theory I got my start time last wednessday -- I dare say you'll catch a few people on the way....