Home Chat General Chat

Could I fit a shorter stem?

I have bought a beautiful felt F4 07 but i find that even with my saddle fully forward i cant use my aerobars. The bike fits me perfectly in the leg so my reach is probably shorter in comparison. I have heard the warnings of a shorter stem but in what way would this affect handling and how much?

Comments

• Hi Krazycal,

I had the same issue and fitted a stem 15mm shorter which made a difference and i'm sure it hasn't affected the handling in any way and its taken some pressure off my back.

Give it a go cos you could always change it back!

Lee

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Generally if you have to fit a stem less than 90mm it indicates that the frame's reach may be too large (crudely - the top tube is too long) . Try a shorter stem but if it effects steering and stability you may need to rethink your sizing. Remember the horizontal sizing is more crucial than the vertical sizing, as it is easy to make big adjustments in saddle height and stack height.
  • Hello,

We would never recommend changing the saddle set-back to address a 'reach' issue. When setting your bike up the saddle height and set-back should be done first and then fixed and cast in stone. The possible ramifications could be a performance loss or knee pain or injury. We would not recommend using anything less than an 80mm stem (90mm if at all possible). Shorter stems can make the bike unstable and unpleasant to ride.

Regards

Phil Cavell

CycleFit
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I have the same problem, I have very long legs, and very short arms, despite the fact that I do yoga everyday and I am quite flexible I cannot get near to touching my toes!

But I think I may try and remedy this with a shorter stem, of about 90. I hope this works!
  • krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    than you all, the reason why i could not buy a smaller bike was because the stack length was allready at the top and my seatpost is around what it should be. I am going to (hopefully) fit a shorter stem but not too short, how are stems measured is it from centre-centre or end-end? Thanks

[align=right] [/align]