Home Chat General Chat

New Guy

Well i'm new to the website. I need some advice and i'm hoping i can get some good feedback. Anything you can tell me would be much appriciated. I want to Finish a half and Iron man competion next year. I work out at the gym on a regularly but understand this a whole different kind of trainning. So i'm wondering if you could give me good ideas where to start? Any kind of website or blogs would help out a lot. Thank you so much and have a good day!

Comments

• domtdomt Posts: 2
    Rich - good choice for starting triathlon.

My best advice is........join a tri club.

Fairly boring advice I'm afraid, but from my own experience the best training choice I made with this sport. I took the plunge after 3 seaons on my jack jones, and now coming into my 4th season I wish I'd done it sooner.

What you should (hopefully) get is Like minded people with no doubt a collective wealth of experience and good advice, plus BTA coaching skills, and there's always the social at the pub after training!

And if your doing Ironmand and 70.3 you need a training partner, at least for your 1st Ironman, otherwise training is a very lonley place (trust me on this one!).

Check the BTA website for list of all British clubs.

Good luck
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    There are no short cuts, tri club or not .... and I dare say many of us are not in tri club .... You need to get out of the gym and start pounding the road. I would say work up to a 10km running, then do a 10km race and use that data to form the basis of your running programme. Cyclingwise get the miles in ceratainly twice a week with one being a 100km plus session aiming to average 25- 30 kmh and the other session being a 40km turbo aiming to get it done in under an hour - which depending on your experience/ fitness may take months. Swimming get into the pool and work up to 76 lengths non-stop. Do all this every week for 8-9 months, keep a training diary to record heart rates, times cyclce computer data etc, use the data in your diary to formulate phase 2 of your programme and there you have it. One other piece of advice is buy decent kit - which is not cheap, although you don't have to buy the most expensive . Good Luck
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I'm also a beginner, looking to do my first sprint later this year, and picking up a lot of tips from browsing this forum, thanks guys.

A couple questions on treefrog's post:

76 lengths, that in a 25-metre pool, yeah?

Why a 100-km cycle for a beginner?
    Yes its' a 25M pool 25 x 76 = 1900M (1.9kM) IM70.3 distance

100km is 60 miles this is a "standard" cyclists' distance in the same way as 10kM is for a runner. If you cannot do 100kM non-stop at a decent pace (18+kMh) then you may have to re-think your targets and ability. Once you have put in a few 100kM's on the same course you can work out your training programme and your race targets. Probably best to get into a cycle group - go to a local bike shop and find out who/where/when your local groups go out, contact them, decide which one is best for you and go for it. One hint : go under coverand scope out what kit they are wearing. They will be circumspect of a new member and you will have to earn their acceptance so kit of the same ilk as theirs will help (don't appear in training shoes, or day-glo coat if they don't, and NO tribars). Anyway a few months with a good group will teach you after that buy a tri-bike or put the tri bar on and go out and do it solo. Then start doing bricks. I dare say if you surf this site you'll get a flavour of the various abilities, aims & ambitions and the appropriate training programmes that go along with each. Before you ask there is no definative training programme - you are best to consult a reputable coach/local guru/other athlete and trial and error to find out what is best for you. Remember we are all individuals with different experinces, strengths and weaknesses. What works for me may not work for you

• turbotimturbotim Posts: 7
    personally i would suggest that you concentrate on enjoying the training and the racing first.

Try a sprint (or several)first, possible olympic end of season if you feel the urge and look at half IM next year or even the year after.

It's a slow build up which counts. Run mileage for example should not be increased by more than 10% / week unless you fancy getting injured?

Stay aerobic and concentrate on duration not intensity to start for run and bike. Buy "total immersion" book to learn to swim efficiently and reduce the need to hammer the mileage in the pool.

Mileage targets can be scary. I was swimming 2 or 3 hours/week, cycling 40 to 80 miles/week and running 10 - 25 miles/week through last summer and completed trentham half IM in 5h27mins. I had never done 56miles on the bike in one hit before if that's any consolation.

remember its supposed to be fun!
    There's no fun in doing a crap time
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    oh I don't know....gives a huge motivation to get off ones butt & do something about it..entrer the same race next time & lay that ghost to rest....
  • CalimaCalima Posts: 35
    Treefrog your wrong & the advice you have given a beginner without knowing his history is shameful. Yes there are people out there who may be able to manage what you suggested but not straight away. Joining a club makes sense, you learn so much just by training & talking with other triathletes, my god you dont even know if Rich7dc can even swim.....I agree with Britspin, enjoying racing & training for a triathlon is very important & in your FIRST year finishing time comes second to finishing the race - its a learning curve or have you not heard of that.[:@]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I agree with that, if I had worried about wot time I was gonna get in my first triathlon I never would have entered, and I never would have become a triathlete. Noone wins their first tri anyhow!
    I just got stuck in straight away. The advice I was given was to get a sub 55min 10km time, be able to cycle 100km at a decent speed, and be able to swim for 45 minutes. I did not join a club I just got out did this. If I had not I would not be able to do a half IM, and I think if you are not prepared to do this then a half IM let alone full IM next year are out of the question
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Just thought I would poke my oar in on this one -

I think there are Triathletes and there are Triathletes some have to get a great time to feel it was all worth it others (and I'm definately one of these) just aim to get through it and have some fun.

Personally I see it as an individual sport - the only person I race is myself. I'm not fast but always always finish with a smile on my face and a great sense of achievement.

The best advice I can give is decide which camp you fall into and set your goals to suit - if your time worries you then you need to focus your training on this as well as your stamina.

No doubt I'll get shot for saying it but there is no shame in finishing last or near last - someone has to and just think how many people don't even bother to get off their arse at the weekend! At least those of us who compete with this attitude are doing something and we give you fast guys even more people to pass on the way round - that's great for your ego's too - you should be glad we are out there making you feel so good!

OK rant over!! I'll get back off my soap box now[:o]
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    I don't think there are just two camps of racers and participants - everybody is both, Legal you must admit you get a buzz from passing someone 50 ms from the line - it's that acceptance of a challenge (both against ouselves and in comparison to others) that gets us off the couch in the first place, and it's the same buzz as Tim Don gets when he passes someone - just my two pence worth.

My best experience ever in sport was coming to the last 500 m of IMUK last year. As I was entering the castle way way behind the racers, with all the emotion of the day welling up inside me, I sensed another person running on my shoulder. I glanced around and exchanged a tired smile with the guy. Then one of the marshals roars out, 'that's it, that's it...stay on his shoulder and take him on the straight'. I couldn't believe it, I was about to keel over and yet i had somehow got involved in a sprint - anyway the guy did 'take me on the straight' with a big smile on his face, the two of us laughing in fact, and then waited to congratulate me with an arm around the shoulder at the end. Magic!
  • I'm new to this forum too, and I think that like anything there are several ways of skinning the triathlon cat.

People that get involved in triathlon are often the ultra organised, goal orientetated type, and the information around reflects this. It's often pretty good information but if, like me, you can't nail your life down to do specific sessions every day and have workouts planned 10 weeks ahead there is a different option. Do what you feel like when you feel like it. If you genuinely enjoy swimming, cycling and running then it won't be a problem. I live ten miles away from where I study, commuting by running and cycling keeps me pretty fit and the odd long run, or long bike ride tops things up. A couple of swim sessions per week and I've got myself in reasonable shape for anything up to HIM.

You don't have to plug yourself into a 10 month plan. You'll probably go faster if you do (and follow it diligently), but for some of us, it's not worth the misery of routine.

The BIG thing I wish I'd done a couple of years ago when I started this malarkey is got some proper swimming lessons. I thought that my shoulders were permanently knackered until a coach sorted out my technique. They feel 10 years younger as a result.

• Haven't had the time to check through everyone's feedback, but I'd recommend Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible, great resource and good advice in it. Really helped me.
  • i have to agree with calima . as long as you make the cut off times it doesn't matter how fast you are .most people's first long distance is just about finishing . if you train sensibly then you'll finish , and you may even get a good time . good luck
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    There are some good points raised in this thread but I have to say I think that we all do our sport for our own reasons and its upto the individual to decide what these are and what they want to achieve (and how to achieve it!)

Advice given to newbies on these threads should be based on what that individual aspires to, not 'you must hit these times'

The same goes for joining clubs and getting coaching - I've been racing for 25 years now and have never been in a club - prefer the freedom to do my own thing and frankly, after all these years, I'm arrogant enough to think I can muddle through on my own!

Besides, theres not many clubs that meet at 0500 to train!

here endeth the lesson [;)]

...and no talk of shaving or waxing [:D]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I agree with most of the shavi..., I mean things that you say Samu. Everyone has the right to pursue his own goals and reasons for it. After all, we'reall triathletes.

On part of the triclub thing, I don't know how it's in UK, but in Belgium you really should join a club. Otherwise you can't enter any pool at the hour you suggest. When you're a member you get extra opening hours, and it's free. Count the money you pay for swimming in a pool over a year, add the free tri race suit that you get and you already earned the member fee back!

Now I do believe that you can cope it on your own. Actually I do too, membership does not force you to go to the club trainings, you go if you want to.

Oh and by the way, I'm sorry for writing this much without talking about shaving[:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    That was a close shave, Benny.
    Hey Benny - things are very different in the UK (or at least in the remote part I live in!) the local pool has 1 session allocated to the local tri club 0 its from 2030 to 2130 on a Monday night - and you still have to pay the admission fee.

Perhaps Belgium is the place to go then!
    It's the same here in Wales - we get one hour on a Thursday night - and pay an entry fee. Looks like Belgium could end up full of ex- brits - shaved/waxed and generally pampered - obviously!
    If there are hills in Belgium (Benny, can you help us out on that one??) I propose we all head over - after the training, we can ponce about drinking decent beer, eating decent food, showing off our hairless appendages and admiring each others bikes / tattoos / scars....

What time's the ferry??

[:D]
    Hey, how did you know about my tatoo!?
    You are very welcome to join the club here [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image].
    Just to convince your wish to emigrate to Belgium, club membership in our club includes:

-race tri-suit of Bio-Racer

-club runs 2x a week

-club rides once a week in 3 different team levels

-Coached swims 3x a week

-free entrance to the pool (including everyday at 6 am) with 2 swimming lanes at least.

-info evenings (theory on swimming, transition, ...)

-One obligation though: you have to compete in the annual olympic triathlon our club organises yearly on August 15th (which is actually an easy obligation, since you don't have to pay the entrance fee of 45€).

So you can see; moving to Belgium is actually your only option[8D]!!!
    Benny - I'm on my way.

That roar you can hear in the distance is my car engine - get the kettle on, coffee - no sugar, splash of milk!!

[:D][:D][:D]
    Make mine a Cappuchino, no sugar - do you mind if I bring the dog? oh and the cat and ducks and the hubby?
    You bring the duck, I'll bring the pancakes and hoisin sauce !! [;)]
    Ahh how could you! They are too sweet for eating, they have names and everthing! Anyway surely we just need chocolate in Belgium!
    Ah,the fuss about Belgian chocolates, although we actually eat it only 3 times a day.

question: do you shave or wax the ducks before??[:)][:D]

Just pluck them - but there's no way I could - too miuch of a softie! - perhaps you guys should start a whole new thread on hair removal by plucking - or do you all do your eyebrows already [&:]