Home Chat General Chat

Garmin Forerunner 50, Waterproof?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Forerunner 50, I'm aware of its limitations and would ideally go for a 305 or the new 405 but heartratemonitor.co.uk state that these watches are; Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 mins.). On the Forerunner 50 heartratemonitor.co.uk states; Waterproof: yes (up to 30 meters). However, the Garmin site states; Water resistant: yes (IPX7).

So obviously I'm a bit confused. Does anyone own one and can vouch you have swam with the watch on and without issue. I suppose I must state I am not bothered about the watch working as a HRM in the water, but I would like the stop watch to work so I can at least start the watch at the beginning of a race rather than having to put a watch on during T1.

I should also mention I'm open to suggestions, so if anyone knows of that all singing and dancing perfect tri watch please let me know...

Grant

Comments

• timftimf Posts: 15
    Hi Grant,

I have the 50 and it works fine in the pool - or at least I'v had no problems with it.

The 305 and 405 are a whole other matter - don't let them near the pool from what I've heard, they are not happy when wet!

Don't understand why they didn't at least make the new 405 properly waterproof......[:@]
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Just out of interest, have you had the strap on in the water? I don't expect the HRM to work but was wondering if it's happy enough to sit in water and then start working once your out. I know this is probably dreaming but I wondering if for example I could start it in the water and it would clock a time, then once out of the water and on the bike it may pick up HRM and cadence. Then once away from the bike it may just work as HRM?
  • craftycrafty Posts: 9
    I've also been looking at the forerunner 50 and found a good review here.

wiggle.co.uk also have a deal on at the moment whereby you save 20% on any items under £50 if your total basket is over £50. The forerunner 50 + HRM is listed at £47.99 so if you pick up any other items to tip it over £50 you'd get it for £43.19 - sounds like a pretty good deal.

That said i'm massively tempted by the 405!

I spotted that deal and brought one yesterday, had it delivered today, looks nice, only thing I can't work out is how to train within a zone, i.e. alarm sounds if your training to hard/not hard enough?

Also a comprehensive guide to calculating HR zones, but I know that's a whole other issue! Doesn't stop recommendations though!
    P.s. Agreed, the 405 is very, very nice. If only it was waterproof and had a multisport function then it would have been a done deal, maybe there saving that for the 505! Imagine how much of a killing someone is going to make when they make a true tri watch, and with that I mean something were you can just tap a button to go, tap again to indicate end of swim and start of T1 and so forth... Would be get...
    Sorry, just a thought, does anyone know if the Garmin Speed/Cadence Sensor For the GSC 10 attaches to the back wheel, just wondering if it will work on a turbo trainer...
  • I've worn my 305 for both the sprint triathlons I did and for several pool sessions that I did in training - a number of which were over 1/2 hour. I've had no problmes with it, though now slightly nervous to find out that I shouldn't have done it.
  • grant.smith, just bought one myself on saturday and had los of fun configuring it and as with many things in life, it's easy when you know how!!! Go into "train" mode and then press and hold "start/stop" and this opens up the menu for being able to set the zones and the alarms, use "view" to flick through the settings.... the zone alarm is a double beep and very audible, much better than the Polar watches and i also find that the Garmin heart rate strap and watch are not effected by electrical interference from other machines when you're in the gym!! - Have fun!!!