Home Chat General Chat

Converting Bike Gym Times

Hi All,

I'm training for my first olympic triathlon however have not yet got a road bike due to Halfords incompetence and bad luck that the only size wiggle don't currently stock is the one I need (expected delivery May!). All my cycle training has therefore been gym based. As I haven't riden a road bike in years I was wondering whether anyone can give me an indication if my times will be quicker on the road than in the gym?

I did my first proper 40km at the gym in 1hr 16. Bloody hard work as the gym bikes are rubbish and I couldn't feel my arse for about 2 hours afterwards.

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    As you've probably guessed there is no comparison. Gym bikes have awful geometry (& seats), don't allow for up hills & downhills, wind, cold temperatures ot adrenaline. They are generally for aerobic fitness rather than cycle training. 40km on the road is far easier than 40km in the gym

Even a race bike on a turbo is hard to compare. All you can do is keep training until your bike turns up & give it a wizz on the road. It'll take a few rides to get it set up just for you & even more rides to get the most out of it.

Don't worry though. Use the first few races to build race fitness & to judge what pace you can sustain without overcooking before the run or taking it too easy & having lots left in the tank.

• toadtoad Posts: 104
    I would agree with harryD, there is little comparison re times and distances from gym bike computers and what happens on the open road...... however you will be giving your quads a good workout on a gym bike so this should facilitate the transition to road biking.

Sounds like you are making the best of a fustrating situation

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I can do a 60 km turbo at an average of 42 - 43 kmh today I went out on the road solo for the first time this year and in round figures I did 70km at 35 kmh average. There were some circumstances see what training thread for details
  • Hodgson,

I would say order a different bike and get out on the road. It's an easy trap to fall into. There are far more external influences when you're out on the road. The gym may help with general fitness, but ultimately it's a simulator for the real thing and typically not as fun.

Pick up a copy of this months 220, it has some kit (icluding bikes) evalutions from budget to high end.
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I understand that there'd be a huge difference between gym cycling and road cycling, including terrain and air resistance/aerodynamics in general. What about running on a treadmill?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Ok well the common recommendation with treadmill running is to set the incline to 1-2% to make the resistance akin to the road.

I personally hate the dam things, i find I can run considerably faster on the road, if i then try and run on a treadmill i feel like im going to fall off. I do have to admit though that in the absence of a running track they are ace to for interval training!