Home Chat General Chat

Confidence Crisis

Stupidly I entered the UK 70.3 half ironman last summer. Then even more stupidly I told people. Struggling to get the training in, and struggling to believe that I can actually do this. Only started triathlons last year - could do with some motivational chat / advice...

Comments

• pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Hey there beany

Maybe need a little more information from you. You say that you have started training but give no details about how much and what you're doing and what your level of fitness is. Everyone struggles with motivation from time to time and one piece of advice is to think about making a training schedule and trying to stick it. If you find it difficult to stick to it - you might be trying too hard and may need reconsider the level of effort. If you're struggling to do any training at all, maybe you have been a bit ambitious for this year and if you reset your goals to something more manageable e.g. a couple of olys this would be a springboard for the half next year.

As for telling folk that you had planned to do a half - you might feel embarrassed at having to postpone it - but it is a huge challenge and you'll feel the sense of achievment even more if you have to bite the bullet in order to be realisitic with yourself. I wouldn't really give a crap what they think anyway, you're doning this for you not them. Finally the weather is just beginning to get better and it's always easier to getout with longer, brigther and warmer evenings.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Be honest with yourself. I know a guy who did the same thing for IM FRA. Like you he told everyone he was going to do it, trained for several weeks when the weather was good and there was plenty of light. When the novelty wore off, when the weather got really bad, when the light faded and when he realised that it was up to him to get himself into shape. Furthermore he saw that the people he told had our own lives to live and training to do and we would not live/train around him. As expected he made excuses and did not train, then at about this time of the year - when the days stretched and the weather improved he panicked and tried to play catch up. This guy was not atall fit and he was doing too little too late. Eventually he saw the light and bailed out. If you are like this then I would advise you to do the honorable thing - take it on the chin (you cocked up!) and get on with life. If you are fit then you have to go for it big style NOW, and there can be no loking back.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Amen to that, treefrog. Pull yourself together and train man, no excuses, no whining!!

Get out there right now[>:]. See what you are made of when you encounter your true self.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    You say you are not getting the training in. You have to think what the reason is for this. Most triathletes have full time jobs and families etc. and it is very easy to get home from work and crash out, or its raining outside and you dont feel like going out.

I think this is what sets multi-sporters apart, I swim at 6.30 in the morning before work. I get back from work at 6, eat then train again. If you really want to do this, you will have to make time, especially if you want to do ironman. If you can't make time, then it might be best to back out this year, see if things change next year.

• Thanks for the responses. I have been following the beginners triathlon half iron man programme and all was going well until Easter when I had some sort of bug which completely threw my training. Since then I have started a new job, and to get home before 10pm is somewhat of a luxury. Suffice to say that I need to get all my training in in the morning / lunchtime and the beginning of the week is obviously easier as I'm less tired. I would say I have a high general standard of fitness, but I have to accept that to get the 6 days of training in that is suggested is not feasible for me. So if I go for 5 days, will I cut the mustard? I'm not going to win it, I'm just going to acheive it. Oh and I'm all woman, not a man!
    Sounds like your doing your best on the training front, with the little time you have. Shame about the bug, they can really screw you up. The immune system is at its lowest after intense training. I take echinacea post workout, its been proved to boost the immune system and reduce the chance of catching a virus and reducing the length of the infection. It was used before antibiotics apparently.

I also take glutamine tablets post workout for the same reason. also lots of vitamin C.

The only advice I can give is that if your time is limited then you have to make the most of the training sessions you have. Rubbish in = rubbish out etc. I'm sure the other guys on here can give better advice on specific workouts as im not an ironman athlete.
  • morning all! Managed to get out for a run this morning, having decided to go for it. I will make the decision nearer the time as to whether I have done enough training. I think it might be the bike that'll screw me, so will ensure I get those sessions in as priority. Hopefully work will calm down in the next week or two and it'll be all systems go. Will take the advice on the echinacea etc! Thanks everso, you've told me what I need to hear!
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Hi bean machine,

If you're worried about your bike leg, concentrate on doing your training on hills - the UK70.3 is billed as the toughest 70.3 in the world for a good reason!

The hills are flippin mental - and that comes from someone who trains in the mountains of Scotland!

well done for sticking with it though, and good luck!
  • ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi Bean,

You'll be fine, I've done three halfIM on six hours a week training my best time was last year 5.53 and it's hilly ++.

Don't get caught up too much in the numbers. My advice is concentrate on the bike get in a few long slow cycles 3-4hrs

and you will get through it. Most of all, pace yourself so you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it there's no reason to do it.

WISHING YOU GOOD LUCK.

• Once again, thanks for the help. Planned in a 4hr ride tomorrow and roped in a friend to take me as he cycles faster, so that should help. Need to focus on the cycle and swim, so that I don't time out in the first 2 disciplnes. Training went to schedule this week until a cheeky 1am finish at work on Thursday night, so that wiped out Friday! Anyhoo, will keep plugging away and hopefully things will start to come together a bit better!
  • AgnessAgness Posts: 27
    hello bean machine

when is your half iron man? I struggle to maintain a training schedule. i either do too much (and get injured) or not enough.

Best of luck for te event though
  • 15th June, so not long! Just having my porridge before I set off for my ride
  • KiwiPaulKiwiPaul Posts: 46
    I too am racing at Wimbleball on 15 June and like you am realising time is running out quickly - 8 weeks on the training plan left so really need to make it count. My sessions with my tri-club are sorting out my swimming, not into quick times but so that I can easily do the distance without staggering up the beach. My riding is getting there and felt really good yesterday on a hill session but I do need to get some really long 4hr rides in now (new bike arrives next week). Running is my real problem as I've just had a 6 week lay off due to a knee problem - did 1st short run on it on Saturday and it feels good so will just ease myself into it - luckily I run in Epping Forest which is hilly so that'll be similar to Wimbleball. I agree finding time to train with busy job spending 12-13 hrs a day in office doesn't help, but keep at it and we'll all see you on the start line and share the joy of finishing!!
  • Ha, well I have now completed the Half Iron Man, ok so not on the same day, but I'm saving that for the 15th. I did a mile swim on Saturday (so I need to add 0.2miles, that's fine); a 55mile ride on Sunday, and a 12 mile run this evening. I am feeling everso slightly better than I did this time last week...

I still think it's the bike that's going to ruin it for me. I know my swim is not fast (can't crawl so will have to breast-stroke like there's no tomorrow), and hills are tough for my little legs. So to get round a hilly bike and swim in 5 1/2 hours, for me is going to be tough.

My ride on Sunday took in some reasonable hills, going round Surrey and out on to the country roads to Guildford, but I'm still not sure how to cope with this 14%er... Thinking of taking on the Kingston Hill in Richmond Park and repeating that for a while...?

I know I'm not going to win it (alas), but my aim is to get round in the 9hours, and if i time out after the bike, then I'll carry on knowing that I gave it my best shot! Not everyone can do these things in 5-6 hours, but if everyone could, then life would be rather dull and I would have needed no advice from you guys and what on earth would we chat about on the forum!

[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]
    Hey Beany

Well done on your recent efforts. Don't worry about the time at all. I think it takes a lot more guts to go around in 9 hours than 5. But if you are going to be on the go for this length of time you should make sure and have a nutrition plan as this could make the difference between getting there steady as she goes, and bonking. My plan is generally to eat something at every station and try to get a mix between gels, bars and bananas.

It's very much each to their own, and you need to balance getting enough liquids in but making sure your salt content remains steady. This sometimes sounds complicated but unless it's really hot you don't need to worry too much about it. I'm sure other people will know more about these plans and there are plenty of other threads dealing this, but it could make a difference.

Goog luck
  • Hey pacman! Have you done it before? I was wondering how feeding stations etc will work etc? Because I'm small my bike frame is small so not easy to fix bottle cages on for example...I assume there are places on course to restock water? The other advantage I have is that I appear to be carrying some reserves anyway (see body fat thread) ... It's all part of the plan you see
    Hi beany,

I've done a few long distances and getting food on the go is part of the gig. You'll definitely need to put a bottle cage somewhere on the bike. If it doesn't fit on the down tube you might want to place it in between the tri bars (aero bootle) or get a cage that can be attached to the back of the saddle. An alternative for liquids is a bladder style feed which you carry on your back (camelbac have a good range). The advantage of the bladder is that you can put it in the freezer the night before and it might still be chilled when you climb on the bike. The disadvantage is that you'll waste time if you try to refill them on the go and you have to carry upwards of a litre.

Overall I'd recommend that you attach a bottle cage somewhere on the bike and practice getting at it while on the go. You can also practice doing a drive by and getting someone to hand you a full bottle, gels, bars, the kitchen sink etc. These are things i'd recommend you try before the big day. They're details but important ones. Be careful when grabbing the stuff as it's takes practice and you don't want to fall off at this stage!
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi Beany,

Just wanted to say that you have inspired me! I have never done a long distance - still struggling to get an application in for an olympic - but you've got me all tempted. Like you, I'm on the small build side (apart from the body fat - can agree with you there) and the bike is tough - I'm not a natural runner either BUT reading your post made me think that I should try a long distance race - I'm not fast but I have got loads of staying power!

Anyway, good luck fro your race - I'm off to give some serious thought to my race entries for the season!
  • Hey legal b

Ooh, well I think you should give if a whirl! I haven't done an olympic one either yet! In for a penny in for a pound tho!! I'm sure my triathlon incompetence is being read on disbelief across the country, if not the world!

I am merely doing this all for fun, not to win, and I don't care if it takes me 9 hrs!!! Bring it on! How hard can it be?!
    legalbeagle - sign up, tell everyone you're doing it, train hard and enjoy !! Too many people loose sight of the fact that triathlon is not always about going fast, it's a mass participation sport for all age group levels and the more people who sign-up the bigger and better the sport gets. Set yourself a goal and feel good about doing it your way.[:)]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Don't know Kiwipaul, but I don't see many people who say you have to be fast here on this forum ? I'd say you're right about the rest you say though. One should try reaching his own set goals,the accomplishement is your own one.

People who doubt:Train your best, give it a go;

Triathlon is so rewarding!!!

(said nothing about shaving&waxing here)[8D]
    I agree with u benny, triathlon is so rewarding!

And it also feels great getting loads of respect from your friends, my friend always introduces me as a triathlete, i think he is more proud that I do triathlon than I am!

I would agree on the being fast isnt that important, having said that, I am doing two sprints in my local towns later in the year, and based on times I really think I have a chance of doing well!

I should win the run leg, as I did last year, posted a pb of 15.20 for the 5k, but was a rubbish swimmer back then and not a particularly fast cyclist!

heres hoping the training has paid off, although the knee meniscal tear hasn't helped!
    benny / Tommi - agree completely - participation and enjoyment is the most important thing !!
  • GallantryGallantry Posts: 38
    bean machine... I love your view... how hard can it be.....

I HATE to think.. but I'll be with you on the course on the 15th

WHY DID I DECIDE THIS WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA!?!? lol!!