Home Chat General Chat

Computers

LindsLinds Posts: 124
Right I've got myself a bike (a lovely nearly new Carrera Vanquish thanks to ebay), a helmet, puncture repair kit, pump, lock (Kryptonite) and a saddle bag - now the only obvious thing that seems to be missing is a computer.

Now having already blown £200 on the bike and then £100 and "accessories" I am going to have to try and sneak this purchase under the FSA (Family Smith Argument) radar so for now it needs to be CHEAP ! (what a surprise I hear you all cry).

There are plenty that do average speed, trip etc. for sub £15 and they seem more than adequate - until I read about cadence sensors.

Now as I am just starting cycling am I getting to caught up in the techno whirlwind or do I really need to know what my cadence is. I'm not sure as survival is going to be the key for the majority of my training and during the Tri itself.

Oh and have I missed of any other vital bits of kit (I know I need tri shorts and a top)

Thanks

Comments

• pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    I have a cadence sensor that I never really look at. My average is about 85 and I can only change it if I'm concentrating on only cadence! On my first bike I got a great computer from Aldi for 13 euros. it has about 20 of the best functions and the display is better than some more expensive models.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    cycle computer with cadence sensor you say? for about £15 you say? then here you go! http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-6555.aspx

it's even a wireless cadence sensor!

i spotted this while browsing through the tescos catalogue (makes the time pass while on the bog....[:)])
  • epacseepacse Posts: 92
    I've just taken delivery of a new road bike, and groovy it is to!! I had a cheap cycle computer fitted by the shop and it's GREAT! Little Sigma number,does all i want!

[:)]

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Cheers all

Balls to the cadence - pikey cheap all the way
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i dunno, i did that and now i'm having to buy a new computer a season later! to quote treefrog 'cheap is dear'! if you spend a little more now, you wont have to buy twice!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Cadence is fun to start with..then you get it dialled in & you know, all you do is check in to see if you were right & you mostly are. Then it only becomes relevant if you want to change your 'normal' cadence & you need to watch it again.
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    cycle computer with cadence sensor you say? for about £15 you say? then here you go! http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-6555.aspx

it's even a wireless cadence sensor!

I vaguely recalled this comment so eventually I looked at Tesco Direct and bought two of these. Fitted one to my bike today and went out for a couple of hours. Gave me everything I need at this stage. Thanks for the tip.

For anyone else going down this line:

Expect a bit of a delay. They seem to sell out quickly and take a couple of weeks to get more in stock.

Buy a magnifying glass unless your eyesight is really good. The instructions are tiny.

Do follow the instructions; the bit about the right side of the bike is illogical but go with their comments.

Don't test the transmitter halfway through. It doesn't seem to work until the cadence sensor is also in place.

Buy some red paint - it comes in silver and red would obviously make it faster.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The Cycling Weekly summer special has a 'free' bike computer on the front of it, not sure what functions it has, or if its ant cop, I just recall seeing it in Smiths..£5 or £6 for the mag I think.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I got a Topeak wired 'pooter with cadence sensor from my local Half-arsed shop. One of the displays gives cadence, current speed and average speed on a single display, which is exactly what I want.

Only cost about £15 quid, and only lasted about 300 miles before it broke. And the cadence sensor was always a bit dodgy.

Permission granted for an "I told you so" from treefrog [:D]

I'll be spending a few quid more next time.....

*EDIT* : Might be an idea if I actually comment on Linds's question: For a beginner a cadence sensor is probably even more important. Beginners always pedal too slowly. The 80+ rpm that you should be aiming for (unless standing up) feels quite unnatural to a leisure cyclist.