Home Chat General Chat

Banana's hurt!

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on this...

If i eat bananas i frequently get heartburn! i necked a banana this morning before a cycle and 20 mins later I was in frequent agony!!!

Any ideas? I'd love to know if others suffer with this and how they deal with it.

Thanks, lee

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    I get this! figure it's some sort of allergy cos i get it from a few different fruits that are all in the same group (it includes all sorts of melons, and mangoes!) i just stay away from all of them now, not worth the pain[:@]
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    This is going to sound real smart arse but its well meant -

try chewing it instead of necking it!!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I suffer quite a bit from heartburn. Firstly identify the foods that give you the condition and avoid them regardless of what the literature says about how nutritious they are. Secondly I find that cycling position (road & aero) has an effect on the stomach and gives rise to reflux & heartburn so all food intake happens at least 2 hours before cycling, after that I take energy drink only. Thirdly I always keep a supply of Rennies handy; these will address the symptoms fast and may have the dubious effect of blood buffering - in crude terms make the blood more alkaline to counter the effects of lactate - This final point is tenuous as you have to take a 'course of " rennies for it to be effective , and I think it will be of little use during prolonged effort where lactate tends not to be such a problem. Rowers and middle distance runners would dabble with this as their effort lasts for 7 -15 mins.
  • Bananas are very high in acid, to the extent that doctors recommend patients not to eat them when you have a tonsillectomy. This on an empty, hungry stomach most likely causes the heart burn. I second the Rennies suggestion. Alternatively you could consult your GP
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I have encountered this before...but personally only with relatively unripe bananas..a hint of green on the skin & it hurts, once they have no green, but have acquired brown spots...mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Sweet & easy to digest.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Yes, green bananas are a pain in the ....eerrrrhhh, stomach.

But I guess Bristol thought about this and his problem is different.

Have you had anything else to go with this banana. Maybe it's a combination of foods you can't cope with? Do you have it all the time when you eat bananas??
  • pacman wrote:

This is going to sound real smart arse but its well meant -

try chewing it instead of necking it!!

I'm often told to 'sloooooow down, chew' when eating, I do eat rather quick but knows when I'll eat next!?! i eat every meal like its my last, i just cant help myself![:D]

• Thanks for your input guys, it was rather green and i dont tend to have this problem when bananas are yellow so problem solved... thanks again

Lee

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Yes it was prbly the green banana that caused it.

Bananas like alot of fruits undergo a change in carbohydrate-sugar composition, as the starch is converted into simple sugars. Thats why green bananas taste a bit...well starchy and bitter, and ripe ones are super sweet.

I think its like....Green - 85% starch 15% sugar to super ripe - 85% sugar.

I have a green banana an hour b4 workout and a ripe one 20 mins after, its an all purpose training fruit! long live the banana!
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Well I must be odd! No please don't all reply at once!

I can eat the green ones no problem but the ripe ones give me chronic heartburn which is something I never usually get!
  • i ate a yellow one with brown spots and had no heartburn... so it must be the green'uns!!