Home Chat General Chat

fast energy food

I guess it all depends on how long you are eating before you work out.

If you can eat an hour before I would personally recommend weetabix as the combination of lactose sugars in the milk, with the complex carbs in the whole wheat will provide you with energy for a good 2 hours for training.

I also find weetabix quite light in terms of causing stomach discomfort, as its the only food apart from fruit I can have within two hours of my workout and feel fine.

However if you only have a short amount of time then fruit is the only real option, you could consume lots of energy drinks, but they will only sustain you for a short amount of time. There are probably some energy boosting supplements/bars/gels or something, but those will be packed full of sugar, which will have the same affect as the energy drinks.

Comments

• mattymatty Posts: 37
    hi all, Iam a brickie so am really busy all day physically and mentally??????[&:]

I can only train at night after work. Is there anything that i can eat that is substantial, non stodgy but full of energy (not f'ing bananasam sick of em![:'(]) and not alot of fat as need to lose half a stone!![:@]

cheers all

cheers tommi, never thought of weetabix will defo give them a go!!

good luck with the race season.
  • Hey guys, I'm back on the boards. My trainer always tells me to get some protein in me about a half hour prior to working out. If you do not have anything in your stomach when you work out, you will end up dizzy and possibly sick. I always ate a trail mix or lunch meat right before my workout.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Yes, and supposedly if you take a protein supplement high in glutamine the circulating glutamine will help protect your muscles against the breakdown caused by prolonged high intensity exercise, following the depletion of glycogen stores.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    It actually all comes down to organisation.

I sometimes run from work to home. I actually have a demanding job like you matty (I'm a roof worker).

For example: You finish work on the construction site at 5 pm. Well then you should have prepared food that can be fast and easily be eaten let's say about 3 pm. Then when you drive from the site to your work base, have an energy drink. So now at 5.30pm you're ready and fully loaded to run/bike home or stop for swim training on the way home.

You can shift the hours obviously, just an example to show everything can be done, organising things is a necessity.

After the workout you can have a proper meal then, so you can fill up the used calories. Of to bed and you have an good day of work, training, nutrition and rest.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    I often have a few oaty pancakes - see the porridge thread

there are fine cold - so I make extra when I have them for breakfast and then munch on them later in the day
    Thx all for your suggestions i have taken note and put them to good use!

Thx benny for your ideas