Home Chat General Chat

Bike...Turbo...numb

I've had this before, it REALLY freaked me out!!!!!!!!![&:][&:] Thought it was gonna drop off!!!!!!! Like you it was during a long turbo session. After I made some.....ahem....... needed adjustments everything went swimmingly thereafter. Got it again the next time I did a long bike session so I made a small adjstment to my saddle, tilting it slightly forward, never had it since. I think that training on a turbo your not moving around on the saddle so much as when your on the road so your putting more pressure for prolonged periods of time on your bits...........or something?!! [:D][:D]

If it turns blue call a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Hi everyone, ok, this is about to get quite graphic, so those with a nervous disposition dont read on.

This is the first of season that I have owned a trainer, so diligently i have been training on it almost every other day. After a particularly long session the other day (well long for me) about 1 hr (i normally only use if for shorter intervals!), whilst changing i noticed a rather disturbing numbness of my nether regions!

I have never noticed this before, but i guess you dont really notice if something is numb until you touch it! I have definitely never noticed this when i have done normal sessions on the bike

I thought it could be down to the vibrations, but I have also been doing some longer sessions in the aero position. Either way i am a tad worried.

Is this something other people have experienced with a turbo? or in aero?
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Known as "numb nuts" it happens. It can be reieved by altering your position and saddle. If you are using an out to grass hack for your turbo bike then get your preferred saddle and put it onto the bike, also tinker with the set up to get it as close to your regular bike - assuming the position is good. Also when on the turbo for prolonged periods stand up for a 20 - 30 seconds every 5 to 10 km (7 to 15 mins).Choice of shorts is also important I ended up using Gore womens shorts as the padding is better and more appropriately placed. Numb nuts is an occupational hazard of cycling, rowing and probably any other seated endurance sport. At one level it's one of those things that the great unwashed laugh about (as well as lycra and spending more than 500 quid on a bike and running) but on another level it can be quite serious, there are several cyclists who have fertility problems and I also know of a rowing crew where 7 out of the 9 had to adopt
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    hey Treefrog, do you have to shave to wear those.... here we go again! It's all about you guys shaving