Home Chat General Chat

Which light weight wheels?

Whats a good light weight wheel?

I am looking for a pair of new clinchers for my light weight road bike.

Have got Zipp 404 tubs on Tri bike but max budget for road bike is £350.

What do you ride?

I have seen a pair of Easton Ascent II's listed second hand for £150 but have no experience of Eason's wheel sets.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    ooh thats a tricky one.hmmm.Im gonna stick my neck out say Bontrager,mavics or dt swiss.when buying second hand wheels make sure there in good condition and true.Ile tell you what you can get cheap but can be an awsome improvement a pair of spinergy rev-x carbon wheels.Ideal for both bikes for training*.I have a pair myself and they take a bloody good hammering and then you can use your zipp wheels for racing.

*please use only for training.you cant use these for racing as thier race band but dont let that put you off.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    At 350you will not get much. Try FRM aeros, there's no UK distributer, you'll have to buy them from Italy. I have a set on my light bike and have found them to be excellent also Campag Neutron Ultra. Really you are far better off spending more and buyinga really good set. Having said all that (or typed it!) I really do reccommend the FRM's to the point I'm buying another set for my climbing bike ( I go pass-bagging in the high moutains every Summer)
  • Thanks for those sugestions.

I found these options of which the Ritchey's and the Roval's would match the bike best.

DT Swiss RR 1450 (1450g w/o skewer) £380.00

Ritchey WCS Protocol Ltd 07 (1460g w/o skewer) £400.00

Ritchey WCS Protocol (1500g w/o skewer) £220.00

Roval Fusee SL 08 (1450g w/o skewer) £405.00

Real Design Ultrafly (1430g w/o skewer) £200.00

Any further comments welcomed.
  • krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    cycling plus just gave a 9 to the reynolds solitudes at exactly £350

• Hey TREEFROG.

Which model of FRM wheels have you got?

They look pretty good from the web site.

The site lists Aerolites but they come in at above £600

The SP-R21 at 1433g (inc QR) are about £427 but they are selling off cheap the SP-R11 at 1532g (inc QR) at about £225 (all plus delivery charge from Italy)

The SP-R11 looks like a bargain to me but wonder if they are as good as what you have?

My set was called FRM 2 (FRM alloy hubs and Ritchey rims). They may have been one of the original stright pulls? They are a few years old (9 I think) and I bought them froma now defunt company called Tiramisu. They are so good that I transferred them to my next bike when I built it - and put Kyseriums on the original This year I'm building up another new light bike and saw the aerolites. I've looked at others; R sys, Zipp 202, and even the more exotic ones Lew/Tune, Lightweights and when all is said and done I think the aerolites are the best of the lot.
  • The minds made up.

Going to push the budget as have just found out I have a bonus coming at the end of the month and going for the FRM SP-R21's.

• Just when I thought I had made my mind up I have found some good reviews on the Xero-Lite XR-1.

Yes they are a little heavier than FRM's I was looking at but at £200 they are less than half the price.

Anyone with a pair got any remarks.

Cheers
    "Cheap is Dear"
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Excuse me for my English, but I don't really know what that means, treefrog.

Please explain your post (or someone else) for me.

Thanx
  • I think it's like a 100 pound car will be an expensive car...

I always thought zipps were the bussiness, does it really make that much difference (like how many seconds over 10k?)
    I've just ordered the FRM's for my new road bike, it'll be great!
  • Who you ordered from treefrog, FRM direct?

What wheels?
    The guy who is building my new bike is ordering them for me, along with a few other goodies