Home Chat General Chat

Other training....

mgs76mgs76 Posts: 10
I'm in my first year of triathlon and have three sprint events scheduled for August/September this year, starting with London then Seaford, then Crawley.

My background is mostly in running, predominantly half marathons and 10k events. However, due to a niggling knee injury I started cross-training last year, which has ultimately led me to triathlon.

I'm interested in other cross training activities that other triathletes get up to, or do most people find that training for 3 events takes up all of their time? Would anyone drop a couple of triathlong specific training sessions to add in another sport/activity?

I started kung fu/ tai chi classes around 6 months ago and on average I do around two and a half hours of each per week. I have found that my fitness, strength and flaxibility levels have increased significantly to the point where I have gone from having a PB in half marathon of 1:44:43 to 1:29:32 - my 10k time has also improved drastically in training.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Mark,

Thats some improvement in half marathon time...

The only "other training" I do is walking the dog about three miles a day in the woods... I know a lot of people say yoga's supposed to be good for tri as it gives you the flexibility needed to prevent injury... I guess Tai chi and Kung fu will do similar things...

I just don't have the time for any other training at the moment..

jazdog
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I find that tri takes up all my time...though I do indoor climb once a week as well which certainly beats the weights room...

I have always (though this is my first season at tri) found I feel like I am neglecting a tri discipline if I replace it with a cross training activity....

As far as cross training goes though indoor rowing is pretty good as it works the whole body and is low impact. Same as the "cross trainer" machine...

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I also find it very hard to find the time to substitute a tri training session for something else although like loony I also do a fair bit of rowing if I cannot get to the pool to swim.
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Oh yeah ... forgot about the indoor climbing thing... try and do that once a week if I've got the time and energy... great workout for swimming!

Jazdog
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Interesting as I cllimb when I get the chance, normally Craggy Island in Guildford or K2 down in Crawley, both have really good walls (atmosphere is better at Craggy).

I used to do Yoga but stopped going, need to get back into the habit as I did notice the benefit (i.e. less pain fro old injuries).
  • mgs76mgs76 Posts: 10
    BonusB, I swim at the K2 at lunchtimes a couple of times a week - that climbing wall looks fun.

Are you doing the Crawley Tri at K2 later this summer?
    BounsB...I haven't been to either of those but have just hatched a plan to get out on proper rock for the summer rather than using the wall...less climbing but much better..
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi guys when is the adult K2 tri, i could find info about the junior Tri from their website but not the adult one?

David
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    David - If you go to their page http://www.tri-esportacrawley.co.uk/ and click on the link to the Late Summer Tri 17th September there is a link to the PDF form. Format = 500m swim, 24km bike, and a 5k run. (Should be under the kids link)

Loony - both are well worth the visit if you get the chance (K2 is nice as they have quite high walls). Where abouts are you going for the real thing? Certainly better for the tan [8D]

mgs7 - Yup, I've applied, should be a good one, had to apply as it is now my tri club [:D] Do they make the pool 50m at lunch? When ever I went in the evening it was always at 25m which is so annoying.
    Crawley is a big detour...but cheers for the info

The wye valley for outdoors - I can be there in about 2 hours from work and with the nights getting longer I figured its worth a crack...
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Thanks for the info, I have decided to do the West Wight Tri on the 17/9 so won't be at K2 but hope it goes well.

David
  • mgs76mgs76 Posts: 10
    BonusB,

Unfortunately the pool is 25m at lunch too. Very quiet Monday - Wednesday though.