Home Chat General Chat

Novice timings

Hi, i'm entrering my first tri in june. Its sprint distance and i was wondering what a good time to aim for would be. Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• trichamptrichamp Posts: 22
    If it's your first tri i'd suggest that you don't worry about the time. Just go and do your best and enjoy the experience, then you'll have something to beat next time. If you set yourself a tough time and don't make it it could put you off doing anymore! The most important thing is to do your best and have fun! Good Luck!
  • Wokka mateWokka mate Posts: 16
    trichamp, normally i would agree with you however; i am one of these people who needs something to go for otherwise i dont really put my all into it. thanks
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    how about just adding all the times you can do each individual event together, a couple of minutes for transition and add say 10%?

or you could look at the results for last years race, have a look at times people did, and set yourself a target, maybe top finish in front of 30 people? or 40? depends how confident you are

good luck, let us know how it went and what times you did

fatmatt
  • milnercraigmilnercraig Posts: 36
    Like you I felt the need to set myself the target for my first event. I put down 90 minutes for my first sprint event (Skipton) and just missed it by 4 minutes which was okay as I got some big hints as to where I needed to improve (I got held up on the bike leg at a roundabout and T1 was awful). I competed again at the weekend in Tadcaster and cut the time down to 84 mins which I was very happy with. Amazing what even a little bit of experience can do for you.

By all means set yourself a target but, as others have said, your biggest target should be enjoying the event....

Good luck

Craig
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hey guys!

I too need a rough idea of what to expect in the first tri... and worked it out based on what I was doing in each discipline -

Goal one - enjoy the thing[:D]

Goal two - finish the thing[:D][:D]

Goal three - finish it as quick as you can [:D][:'(][:D]

Goal four - enjoy the thing![:D]

Jaz
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I competed in my first tri at the weekend only a sprint distance 400m swim 10 mile bike 3 mile run I aimed for 1 hr 15 mins but actually did it in 1 hr 5 mins I find that having a time to go for helps me through any race.
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Well done Guv

Goal setting is a great idea, if you are goaless you will end up unmotivated.

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I have my first at the weekend and have set my target times based on the same speed I aim to do london in august.. stratford is a shorter event than london and should be achievable...

I came to the times by pretty much doing what fatmatt suggested which was taking a decent estimate of all my times and adding them together... I didn't bother with adding 10% as I set the times about 2 months ago and figured I'd improve by august...

• LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    Hi! Doing my first Novice tri in June as well. Going to try for some personal bests in training over the next few weeks and then try to hit them. I need something to aim for too! Good luck!