Home Chat General Chat

how old were you when.......

How old were you when you turned your attention to triathlon?

I was 26.......

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I was 18, I am now 24, but 3 successive years of injuries mean my participation in the sport has been rather limited, bring on this season!
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    This year! Im 22 and see a long future following, competing and training for this sport.
  • Alas, not until I was 33 (now in 3rd season). Before then I only concentrated on road and mountain running - thought that cycling was something you did with the family on a day out and thought that 50m swimming was dead easy but anything more than that was pointless (why swim more than 100m when no pool is longer than 50-90 metres?). Wish I'd thought of it when I was 21.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    14 years old,1981,watched an episode of Magnum P.I.

Television can be a good influence sometimes.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    26, three years ago. I saw a documentary on Marc Herremans, top finisher some years ago in hawai, World champion last year in Hawaï (in the wheelchair section that is, since he had a biking accident on Lanzarote).

What I saw was a story of courage,strenght and determination. Was hooked immediately[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    years ago, due to the lobbying of a 'good friend', but only put it together to actually race ummmm 6 years ago when I was 39..ish..who said middle aged crisis? someone at the back? Come on..who was it..we will all stay here until you admit it..
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    Well feel a bit old now starting this game ,this year at the young age of 38.

But it makes me feel 21 again!!![:D]

[:D][:D]
  • I got to know a guy at the gym who used to be a Team GB sprinter, he had met and became friendly with Simon Lessing years before at various sporting events before Simon moved to the US. Whenever he spoke of Simon it inspired me to give tri a go and I've loved every second of it since, i just wish i had taken it up earlier!

I was given a Team GB t-shirt once owned by the great man himself, needless to say i won't be decorating in it!

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    been doing triathlons on and off since i was 16 (now 28) but been taking it a lot more seriously in the last 3 years (consecutive). really pushing myself in training this year and hoping to get PB's in all events this year. even going to shave and get my body fat% way down[:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    33. They ran a super-sprint at my local club (400/20k/5k) and I thought it looked accessible enough for a seasoned swimmer and gym-goer to give it a go. Flappy shorts, MTB, knobbly tyres. I actually towel dried in T1. T2 nearly killed me.

Been hooked ever since, though had a year out a couple of years ago when I was living in Japan.

I'm 38 now. Just you wait until I get into the 40-44 group. I'm planning on succeeding in Triathlon by outliving all my competition.

At the other end of the scale, there's an 11 year old kid who lives opposite me that has aero-bars and often goes running while his dad tries to keep up on his bike. I think there's a kids' tri club nearby. Wish I'd started that early.
  • DiDi Posts: 1
    I was a young 50 when I turned my attention to triathlon [:)] Almost 3 years later I am just loving it. Always something to learn.

Kiwi Di

• LindsLinds Posts: 124
    35 - so now actually !

Decided I wanted to do a decent 1/2 marathon time this year (sub 1:45) and thought swimming might help improve my overall fitness.

Then I read Tim Moores book about cycling round the Tour de France route and I started to think about cycling and that lead me to looking at a triathlon.

I am now signed up to my first event (Bath Sprint) at the end of July (and it looks horribly hilly) and have managed to encourage/coerce a couple of my friends to give a sprint/super sprint (? the shorter sprint) a try. So it looks like I will be doing another event in August!
  • Linds wrote:

35 - so now actually !

Decided I wanted to do a decent 1/2 marathon time this year (sub 1:45) and thought swimming might help improve my overall fitness.

Then I read Tim Moores book about cycling round the Tour de France route and I started to think about cycling and that lead me to looking at a triathlon.

I am now signed up to my first event (Bath Sprint) at the end of July (and it looks horribly hilly) and have managed to encourage/coerce a couple of my friends to give a sprint/super sprint (? the shorter sprint) a try. So it looks like I will be doing another event in August!

Hi Linds,

Bath is hilly if its the same cycle course, the hill up to Peasdown isn't kind but what goes up must come down!

I'll be watching bath tri this year because i have a wedding the night before so wont really be fighting fit lets say!!!

lee
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124

Hi Linds,

Bath is hilly if its the same cycle course, the hill up to Peasdown isn't kind but what goes up must come down!

I'll be watching bath tri this year because i have a wedding the night before so wont really be fighting fit lets say!!!

lee

[/quote]

Oh bugger

I don't like hills !

Are they worse than Ashley Hill?
  • At the meagre age of 39... got into it just before christmas 07, when after a night of drunken debauchery with my bestest and oldest friend, i awoke to find my credit card next to the computer and had no clues as to why!!! When my friend eventually awoke he informed me that he had talked me into enrolling for Wimbleball 70.3 because "He's doin it!!!". Thought he was confused and meant Wimbledon and informed him that i can't even play tennis, then went on the website to see what its all about and haven't looked back since... shed 2 and half stone, seriously damaged my bank balance and according to my rugby buddies am now apparently gay (because I am now quite happy not drinking and on the few occasions that i do, i do so in moderation)
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Only just started looking into it this year, I'm 25. Hoping to get a race in before I turn 26 in October.
  • I was 48, when I did my first tri, in 2004. I have now done 13, mainly sprints, but did 2 olympic last year. Hope to do 8 this year (5 sprints and 3 olys) I took to it, after seeing Jane Tomlinson doing a half ironman. I had gotten into a lazy mode after years of playing and coaching rugby league had come to an end. I have enjoyed every minute. Lost over a stone and have stopped drinking.
  • Linds wrote:

Hi Linds,

lee

Oh bugger

I don't like hills !

Are they worse than Ashley Hill?

[/quote]

If you can tackle ashley hill then I'm sure you'll be fine... panic over[;)]

• Zig a zaga, who'd you coach and play for... rugby league man myself, maybe chased you round a pitch at some time, although from your name i'm presuming yer a back.. as a lummoxing forward i never zig a zagged anywhere!!!!
  • Painispleasure.

I live in Bradford, and played for Wyke, Victoria Rangers, Wyke (again) then the Barley Mow, which then changed to South Bradford. This was between 1977 and 1991. After retiring, I coached a local junior team (Royds) who my son played for, from 13 to 17 age group. In 2005, 2006 I coached Wyke in the pennine league.

Yes I was a speedy centre [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

Who did you play for.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    49 in 2006 - prior to that thought triathletes were barking mad. My gym was the venue of a Sprint so thought I would give it a bash. Yes I did a towel dry in T1 as well - and powdered my feet and applied sunscreen! Did the cycle on a £60 Halford MTB with knobbly tyres, went full pelt down this hill, started to weave but couldn't brake, frightened the life out of me - got hooked though!

My wife bought me a Giant SCR2 for my 50th birthday and did 4 Sprints last year, (came 3rd in my age group in the last one!! Could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard that) Now gearing up for 4 Sprints and a couple of Olympics this year but had to scratch the first one this weekend as I 'got off' my bike 2 weeks ago in spectacular style.

Now when I said that I thought triathletes were bonkers - Ironman lond distance I considered completely certifiable and ahem I am now thinking of doing one next year (egged on by my Pilates trainer). Suppose its got to be done.
  • krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    13, 15 now somehow I am doing better in sprints, probaly because the kids one are so elitist
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Just waited till I could get into the vereran category! No seriously, started last year at 42

• rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Last year Aged 39 was my first year in Tris,

Bought a bike 5 years ago after watching Mr A win his 5th TdF,with diet & exersize lost 7 stone (at 35 thought it was time to get healthy ... again), realised I would never be a mountain goat (why does a 6ft7" big bloke LIKE cycling up big hills), I used to be able to swim quite well so ..... I thought lets give triathlons a go...... My target is to complete a 70.3 in 2009 & IM in 2010.

• bodhisattvabodhisattva Posts: 51
    26 now i'm 36 . did the terrapin sprint as my first one , then worked my way up to IM .
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    42. Herself did the local tri in 2005. I went along to watch, help with kit, time her etc. She loved it and wanted to do more and I realised that there was no way was I going to watch her (and loads of others) having fun without joining in. Next year I got going. Only for fun so far but I have upped the ante with some of my targets for this year and I can barely remember the last time I referreed a rugby match. Too much fun to be had with the off-road duathlons.
  • ShanyShany Posts: 7
    i was 28 when i do my first triathlon in june so i am very new to this i don't do running but do swimming but not much cycling. but i am very excited as i went to watch a triathlon and got a really buzz from it i can't wait if you have any training ideas for running please let me know thank you

shany

xxx
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    [:)]i was 40... im been doing them for 11yrs now.. about ten tris a season. im still loving it...[:D] the people are much better than those who just do time trials and cycle races.. they seem to be up their own ar****. even though i do such events, triathletes are much more fun...[:)] and we have much more to talk about... swimming and running as well as cycling.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Age 31, first tri was the Rotherham Tri in1987, Brought a brand new Raleigh bike especially for Tri cost about £150 from Kays mail order catalogue(monthly repayments), I put yellow handlebar tape and a yellow seat cover on, thought it looked the dogs b**ll**s, Remember taking a mars bar for race nutrition and actually got off the bike to take the mars bar out of the saddle pack to eat, went the wrong way on the course and ended up back at transition so went back out to ride the correct route. Finished just about last, But I was hooked.

Come a long way since then, now ride a Planet X stealth with zipps also a pinarello, have represented GB 6 times over the past 3 years and just came back from Canada Worlds with a bronze medal.

Its taken 21 years though.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    19 then gave it up at 20 for rugby, but Recently started again at 33