Home Chat General Chat

Swim help

When swimming I find for the first 1/2 mile that I cannot obtain or maintain 'full power'. However after I pass this 1/2 mile mark I find the stroke, power etc improves.

Does anybody have any pointers of how to overcome this obstacle as I am presently only taking part in Sprints which involve 1/2 mile swims?

Also when I get out of the water after the open water swims the head is in another world. Is this because of the adrenalin, water temperature and the drop in blood pressure?

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Hi,

Maybe you need to fully warm up your swimming before setting out on a specific distance or TT.... it sounds to me like ater the first 1/2 mile your body is 'warmed up' and your away.

• jbgt2jbgt2 Posts: 6
    Hi sfuller,

So you have any pointers for the warm up?

A jog / cycle maybe?

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    I warm up in the pool. Just do a few lengths, couple hard then couple slow and so on.... rest for a min or 2 then start your session.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Time for me to put something back instead of asking questions all day.

The best way to warm-up for the swim is, yes, to do some swimming as sfuller says. Often, though, in a sprint tri where you are starting in waves you don't get any pool time beforehand. The following works for me...

With your running shoes on... stand upright and start working through your arm stroke, nice and slow. Imagine the water is a wall, and you are swimming straight up. Got it? Now steadily increase the pace... up, up, up until you are turning over at a ridiculous pace. Keep it up. After about a minute you should start to feel the pressure of this. At this point do a 100m build run, up to sprint speed. Jog back, and repeat.

As I say, it works for me. Your mileage may vary. Be interested to see what others say about swim warm-ups without getting wet.

Best to do this in the car park. You'll get some weird looks, but as a triathlete you should be getting used to that... [:D]
    Thanks for the advice guys
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    No probs, jbgt2. I forgot to address your second question, about feeling dizzy.

Yes, it's a combination of suddenly going from horizontal to vertical, the adrenaline, the water temperature and the fact that all your blood really wants to be in your legs and shoulders from the swimming.

Temperature is probably the smallest factor, as you'll notice this faintness when doing a pool based sprint as well. I usually feel very odd when I get to T1: wobbly, tunnel vision, unable to communicate or think clearly etc.

Just as well, really. If I could think clearly in T1 I'd pack up, go home and put the telly on like a normal person.

The best thing to cure the light-headedness is a nice tough bike ride, followed by a run. [:D]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Sounds like you have a diesel-engine like me. Maybe you are made morefor the longer work!?

Warming up can help, so can doing longer distances.

On the second part of your question: try kicking alot more at the let's say last 100-150 metres of your swim; should help stimulate blood-flow, although the feeling won't go away completely, but it helps.

Thx guys for the feedback.
  • Love Benny's reference to Diesel engine performance...

I am in second season and find that it is hard to get faster - speed is still relatively slow - but my endurance is greater

...maybe I have a diesel engine?!

Some of me thinks it would be easier if I were a turbo charged petrol engiie - at least it would be over sooner
    I think we should set up 'diesel engined' triathlon event
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Bungee cords....there I said it. As Bop mentioned weird looks come with the territory, but if you combine his arm action mimicking (spell?) your swim stroke with a dyna band, exertube giant elastic band thingy ..technical term there..., anchored in the middle, & 'swimming' away you get a warm up with resistance..choose your band according to your strength/stamina.