Home Chat General Chat

Completely pointless - most embarrassing moment in tri

Ok, so another completely pointless thread, but i thought it would be funny, and im bored and procrastinating so I dont have to go back to work.

So...what has been your most embarrassing moment/funniest moment in tri.

Also I dont like to condone taking the piss out of people, but some funny stuff you've seen would also be good

I can feel many stories about 1st experiences with clipless pedals coming on.

This is one of my many moments -

1st time with clipless pedals, went on a short route, in the city, with loads of traffic, came up behind an old boy on a tourer, but there was so much traffic I had to make a bit of a risky move to get past time, then a little up ahead I arrived at traffic lights on red and uphill! So i clipped out, with my left, but when i tried to clip back in the pedal had inverted, i nearly fell over to the right, but so quickly got my right out. As I was pissing around trying to get the clips back in, the old boy passed me. Finally got going, caught him up again, and passed him, came to a traffic lights, same bloody thing happened! I was so embarrassed that at the 3rd set of lights i turned left instead and headed home!

Comments

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Two stories...

In my first 'proper' tri - rather than the amateur effort which had got me into the sport- I put my sprint 400m swim time down as a nice steady 6:45, to ensure I wouldn't be stuck in a wave with the fastest cyclists (Swimming is my best discipline). Confident that I could stick a 5:45 in and get out of the water with a considerable advantage I got my head down and got out of the water leading my wave, with one person a few seconds behind and the rest of the wave still on length 14/15.

So I got to T1, grabbed my running shirt to pull it on... then realised I had stuck the safety pins through both sides of the shirt, for both front and back numbers. If only I'd known about using 1 number and a race belt. I was still mucking about with pins when the last of my wave vanished down the road...

Same year, my fourth tri and the week after a 10k. I was knackered, and had already decided to just use it as an excuse for a morning out and to do a bit of training. Carb loading had consisted of a beer and a large curry. There was a section on the run that was a massively steep hill. I got runner's tummy quite badly, so I checked over both shoulders to make sure the road behind was clear. It was, so I am afraid I broke wind massively. Seconds later the road levelled out and the lady who had been right behind me, so close that my over-the-shoulder check hadn't revealed her, overtook me. [:'(]

She came up to me afterwards and told me I was 'doing very well on the hill'. I apologised profusely, but nearly died of shame and embarrassment. I almost gave up tri there and then.

Sorry, peurile second story but I actually learned a lot from it.
  • Don't think any of my stories can match Bopos - my peurile side is still giggling from the fart story.

Of the things I've seen, the best was at my first triathlon at Blenheim a couple of years ago. It was pouring down with rain and has a pretty narrow, undulating bike course with some tight turns and lots of traffic - the sort of conditions where you take it really easy on your first lap and then push out a bit on the second lap once you know where the hazards are. As I came down a particularly narrow downhill into a left turn I heard a guy behind me shouting out "Tora, Tora, Tora!". He came flying past me, totally out of control and, instead of following the lane to the left, continued straight on into the field in front for about 50m before finally falling over and disappearing into the long grass (I, and a couple of other riders, almost fell over trying to watch him instead of the road). I think he just went too fast, lost all control and realised he could never make the bend. What a way to go out.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The longer you do the sport the more 'war' stories you come across.

Okay I admit I have done the safety pins thru the shirt,also failing to secure the QR levers on my back wheel causing it to move and jam against the frame whilst going up hill resulting in me looking like a turtle on its back in the middle of the road.But competing in the HIMUK in 2003 I was on the last lap,when I past a competitor on a pink childs bike with tassles,Honestly,I thought he was taking the mickey as he pedalled down the road in his bare feet.But he admitted to having the mechanics take his bike and having to borrow one to get back to transition.

I will have to trawl my memory for more.
  • CenCen Posts: 10
    Tiring Tri ing wrote:

...I heard a guy behind me shouting out "Tora, Tora, Tora!". He came flying past me, totally out of control and, instead of following the lane to the left, continued straight on into the field in front for about 50m before finally falling over and disappearing into the long grass...

jon.E wrote:

...looking like a turtle on its back in the middle of the road.But competing in the HIMUK in 2003 I was on the last lap,when I past a competitor on a pink childs bike with tassles...

I've just cried and nearly choked trying not to burst out laughing in the middle of my office after reading these two. Probably some lesson in there about the office being for work...

Blenheim is going to be one of my first tri's (major newbie) so I'm sure I've got some negative karma coming my way - will be very careful on the first lap now!

Thanks for the laughs, hopefully I'll be able to add to this thread in a couple of years time!

• A couple of years ago i was out running in town on a lovely hot summer day when i ran past a bus stop full of attractive young ladies, the route i had planned required me to jump very small wall just in front of them to pick up a track down to the river. Trying to look cool and composed thus hiding the fact i was blowing out of my backside i casually jumped the wall... BUT!.... i caught my trailing leg on the wall and fell into a heap on the otherside resulting in blood and gore much to everyone enjoyment....

Not know knowing what to do i simply jumped and took a bow!... What a w*nker!!!!

I've never heard a group of girls laugh so hard!!!

I got talking to a girl in town many months later who happened to be there and remebered me, she said it was one of the funniest things she'd ever seen and was still tickled pink by it.

It will haunt me forever[:(]

• pacmanpacman Posts: 109
    Clipped in is a classic - we probably all a version of it - my one goes like this -

I was bringing in my brand new aero (red naturally for speed!) tri bike for it's maiden spin and felt for the first time like a true triathlete in training. After a good hour I pulled in to a shop in a small village and was busy looking around to see if anybody was noticing me - the exotic beast on the fancy bike, and out of the corner of my eye spotted a guy parked at the kerb flicking through the Sunday paper, who had paused to take a gander. As I eased up to the shop I realised I was still clipped in but didn't have enough momentum to get a foot out. The bike stopped and I balanced for what seemed like an eternity before going over in slow motion with a clatter. Looking up I could see the guy was in hysterics, and only got worse when I couldn't get my inside foot out, I was on my side stuck to the bike for all of three minutes before I managed to get up. Looking around there was a group of kids also cracking up in glee.

At first I was pissed off that nobody had given me a hand but then I couldn't help but laugh with the guy in the car who at this stage had crumpled his paper into his lap and gone puce.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    First open water swim..apologising all the way to the canoe guy following me as my breaststroke seemed to be holding him up..altho in my defence, I was not the last out of the water..the 70+ year old just behind me was....
  • bodhisattvabodhisattva Posts: 51
    mines a clipping in moment

i stopped at a set of lights and unclipped . when i set off i couldn't get clipped back in no matter how hard i tried so i made the fatal error of looking down at my pedal , at this point the car in front stopped at a pedestrian crossing and i ran into the back of it . luckily the lady was more concerned about me than her car . now i never look down