Home Chat General Chat

Digestive System

Hey everybody, hows it going? I'm just curious as to how everyone keeps their digestive system on track. Some of the foods we eat are not the best for us and can really take a toll on our bodies. What does everyone do to maintain a healthy digestive sytem? Let me know.

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    ooo thats a question! I don't think I have ever really considered this issue at all!

well i personally don't have any digestive problems, I think thats because I have an exceptionally good diet (in my opinion!) I used to watch my food so rigorously that i know what carbs/protein/fats are in pretty much every common food, combined with calorific value. And also i know my body, it tells me when it wants more carbs/protein, sounds odd but i get a cheese craving when i need protein - odd eh?

Anyway, i have a very mixed diet, in regards to digestive system i eat probiotic yoghurt every day. I make sure I have an equalish fruit to vegetable ratio, as too much fruit and not enough veg will cause lots of fermentation by the fruit in your digestive system. This will lead to lots of gas, and a bloated feeling. I recommend at least 4 portions of fruit, 4 of veg a day.

I also dont each any starchy carbs, i have swapped them for more complex carbs like pulses and legumes. I love mushy peas, i.e marrowfat peas, they have a much higher protein content that regular peas, and are not as high in sugar. They are basically the perfect food because they were designed as a meal in one! so lots of good fats aswell.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I am withh Tommi on this one, I avoid dodgy food, always prepare. i never turn up at work without my own food, so I will never resort to a mars bar here, a packet of crisps there. We cook mostly from fresh ingredients, no ready meals, make our own bread mostly, loads of fruit & veg.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Have to agree, we too are pretty fussy on the food front. We make our own bread, pasta etc etc and eat lots of veg (home grown wherever possible - pretty fed up with Kale and Leeks which is about all that there is at the moment - roll on summer!) generally we eat less fruit than veg. Have to say I avoid all the sports drinks, energy gels etc etc and eat my hubby's home made flapjack instead! For re-hydration I have fruit juice and water in a 3/1 mix (1 part being jiuce, 3 being water) with a pinch of salt.
  • Wow, you all eat so much better than I do. It really inspires me, especially with the vegetables. Dont get me wrong, I love my veggies, but finding fresh ingredients isn't always easy. I'm eating prebiotic fiber though, like the ones found in LiveActive products. Has anyone ever heard of it? They make some really great things.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Can't say I'ver heard of it myself.

On the veg front - you can always stick a few seeds for salad plants/ carrots/ beans etc in a bucket outside - you don't even need a garden! Once you've had home grown tomatoes you'll get hooked!
    I am not familiar with it myself, but it still sounds like manufactured food, I know I sound like a luddite (if Luddites protested aginst food) but if it comes from a factory..no matter what the claims I am always sceptical.
  • You guys should really check out the LiveActive cereals. They would definitely meet your standards ayou will probably be very impressed. They make the cereals with whole grain flakes, real fruits and nuts, and even crunchy clusters. Sure, it is made in a factory, but that shouldn't scare you away.

• cheezypeescheezypees Posts: 13
    Hello all. As a follow up I was wondering how alcohol fits into this equation? In light of the impressive efforts to guarantee the quality of your food I wondered whether the same thing applies to booze. Do you partake/stick within guidelines or avoid altogether. Also, in the interests of knowing where all your food/drink comes from, do you also make homegrown wine/beer etc.?
    Well actually..no I don't brew my own beer..however I do not drink 'chemical' beer, anything that keeps a head for 3 weeks after pouring? Nah can't be right.. so its hand pull real ale type stuff for me, on rare occasions and never more than 2 pints..only 'cos I can't sleep, roll onto my back, snore & get thumped by Lady Britspin...plus I really hate the hangover sicky feeling..sure sign I am getting old.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    I assume liveactive is paying you to surf the web! ?? ;o)

Lots of fruit, veg, salad and dried fruit and nuts.... as well as a normal diet - Basically my only rule is to avoid saturated fat where I can - everything else is used as fuel - I have no probelm with sugar or salt although I tend to prepare fresh stuf as ready meal and preocced food doesnt fill me up... probiotic foods are a load of rubbish and are only of help to poeple with poor diets winge to their friends and blame "THE BAD BACTERIA" for the ill health and not their ignorance - Good food provides the perfect environment for your good bacteria to thrive without assitance from proccessed live bacterias a bit of natural yogauht everyday is very nice and I suspect of just as much benifit. I wonder if Liveactive would print that comparison on the products?

I pride my self at pushing out a number two in 30 seconds, and having limited need for paper - and thats with no probiotic in sight - if its coming out good its going in good.

Alcohol - well I love the stuff and binch drinking is my birthright. (nobodys perfect).