Home Chat General Chat

Weights

Hi guys. This is my first post on here so go easy!!

I am not a triathlete but more a cyclist/part time duathlete. My history is mainly in cycling so apart from core strength exercises I've not really done any weights for about 4 years! Mainly because I hate being stuck in a gym. I'm training for a long distance running and cycling event as well as various marathons, 10k and sportives etc this year and 2009. I know that weights would probably help but I just can't find the enthusiasm to get back in the gym.

Just wondered what, if any, weight training, most people do?

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Hi there neil66,

I used to do a bit of weight training but have since reigned it in quite a bit cos you dont wanna be carrying too much muscle around a Triathlon. Muscles need oxygen to operate so too much can cause fatigue. However, a sensible approach to it can reap rewards. I tend to incorperate a weights session twice a week working on biceps, triceps, back, chest and shoulders to give me little more power with my swimming stroke. The weights I'm lifting arnt heavy, I just do more reps.

I'm sure you'll get a different perspective on this from others, but I find this works for me!!

Good luck and welcome to the forum[:D]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Hi mate, I am in the very lucky situation of what body builders call a hard gainer, meaning I can weight train all I like, but dont see an increase in muscle bulk, however I do get an increase in strength, and it has made a big difference to my swimming and cycling power.

I do three sessions a week, an all body/legs, biceps back and shoulders, chest and tris.

All body and legs I do squats - but to build up muscle endurance I do pyramid sets, so 8 reps at heaviest weight I can do, change weight down 10kg, do 12 reps straight away, 10 down - 16 reps, 10 down - 20 reps.

I then do some deadlifts, kettle ball one handed clean and jerk (ace all body exercise). and some more leg stuff like pistol squats and lunges.

Biceps and back, i do a pull ups, chin ups pyramid - 8p/u then 8 c/u, 1 min rest, 6/6, 1 min, 4/4, 1 min, 2/2.

Then a bit of heavy bicep stuff with 7s and curls. end on seated row.

Chest and tris is basic bench press - flys etc. not too much on this as they are not overly functional in tri disciplines, unlike back, bis and legs.

Tom
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Try this thread from a while ago, lots of info in it :

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=10674

It's one from the old days; it doesn't include any diseases like shaving/waxing, .... You know what I mean [:D]
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi there,

Rather than weights a few of us at our club do a weekly circuit training class which combines strength training and aerobic training. We concentrate on biceps, triceps, core strength exercises and leg stuff - all using either body weight (ie with the core stuff and the triceps) or hand weights - lots of reps, low weight - this helps you not to bulk up. Personally I find it helps me loads, both from a strength and stamina point of view.