Home Chat General Chat

South Cerney, Lake 12, Open water swimming

Hello,

I've been handed a scrap of paper with open water swim times for South Cerney, Lake 12.

I'm finding it very hard to obtain solid information on these sessions, just thought it would be a bit better advertised. I'm just wondering what the deal is, can anyone just turn up? Do you know if they are happy for me to leave my car there whilst I go for a ride and so on. Their website really doesn't mention the sessions at all.

http://www.southcerneyoutdoor.co.uk/

Here is what I have;

8:15 - 9:30 £5.00

May 3rd, 10th, 17th & 31st

June 7th, 14th & 21st

July 5th & 12th

Sept 6th, 13th, 20th & 27th

Oct 11th, 18th & 25th

Can anyone who's been there confirm or correct this info if needed. And maybe shed some light on any procedures...

Comments

• SimonBSimonB Posts: 12
    I know this doesn't answer your question Grant but I too would really like any info that anyone can provide on this as I'm desperate to get some open water training in and South Cerney is close to me!

Si
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Hey Simon,

I managed to find a phone number and I gave them call.

The web address is correct, however the open water sessions are actually taken by some one else. Turn up to lake 12, pay at reception and they will tell you where to go and change and so forth. Their is a safety boat, and the time's and dates stated above are correct.

I also asked if they minded me leaving my car whilst I go for a bike ride which they don't have a problem with.

Let me know if your going and fancy a ride afterwards?
  • SimonBSimonB Posts: 12
    Hi Grant, great news!

I reckon I'll target the 10th May, hopefully catch you there.

I'll chuck the bike in the car as well and see where I get to.

Cheers,

Simon
  • adamjadamj Posts: 7
    Hey, doing my first tri in june and was keen to do some open water stuff in a wetsuit. I went up to South Cerney and ended up just swimming in the beach area. there is a section that is cordoned off by a link of logs. I spoke to the folks in the kiosk and they said there was no issue with swimming on the lake side of these (even though it says not to). It only about a 100m stretch but its better then nothing.

Hope this helps...

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    adamj - are you confusing lake 12 (the original poster's lake of choice) and lake 32?

I've not been to lake 12 so I could be confused here of course :-)

lake 32 has a beach end, with about 10m or so of water available to swim in... IITRC around £3 a day/visit for adults. Iits roped off from the rest of the lake - the remainder of which a swimming membership of £40 a year will permit you to swim 365 days a year < 10 am.

didds