Home Chat General Chat

Help me swim quickly!!!

Hello all!

I was hoping you could give me some tips about swimming improvement. I started swimming regularly about 6months ago and at that time could do about 2 lengths before collapsing like a retired coal-miner. I can now swim 1500m slowly (am aiming to do the London Oly in August), it takes me about 40mins.

I'm swimming about three times a week and usually do a 300m warmup, then a mix of 200m, 100m and 33m sprints then some drills(1000-1500m in total), but I dont seem to be making much improvement. I've done a few 1500m timetrials, but the times always float around the 40min mark.

My 100m sprint times have come down from over 3mins to just under 2mins. But that's still really slow compared to most of the post I've seen. It feels really fast to me when I'm doing them and I can't fathom how some people are going twice as quick as me!

Can you give me any tips for improving. My technique is based on watching Thorpe, Hachett et al. on Youtube (I'm aiming high!!!), so this could be a weak point. I'm in Central London, so if anyone knows how and where I can get my technique assessed that'd be great.

Also, if you could suggest some other swim workouts I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    You already have the basics so continue to work on your techniqye and learn to relax more in the water. This way you may feel slower but in fact your speed and times will increase.

Also if you are unable to get much quicker over 1500m then dont worry at least you will still have the energy to get on your bike and this is where you can make up some time.

Good luck and enjoy[;)][;)]
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Hi there D3d

Try this for improving your speed and stamina

3 x 4 lengths fast fast 25 seconds rest between sets

3 x 4 lengths race pace 25 seconds between sets

3 x 4 lengths slow and steady 25 seconds between sets

3 x 4 lengths race pace rest as above

3 x 4 lengths fast fast

it's the session our coach gave us last week - it's hard but great and really gives you a really good session. You can reverse it as well ie start slow and steady , then race pace, then fast fast and then back down again

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    just out of curiosity, where do you swim?
  • Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, I'll try the session next time I go for a swim.

I'm swimming at the University of London pool. It's pretty good, 33m long, which is apparently the longest pool in Central London. Lots of students though!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    The only way that I swim faster is if part way through a session, I realise I'm late for an appointment!
  • MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I got the swimsmooth DVD last year and have found it really helped with my swimming. The main is to improve technique, just working harder can only give you limited results.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    have a look at the total immersion technique. i took some bits from that and it helped me. i can now do as little as 9 strokes a length (25 meter pool) if i'm really trying, but average about 13 when i'm upping the pace.

you can get a book and a dvd to help you learn the technique. it wont make you faster per se, but will improve your technique which will eventually make you faster