Home Chat General Chat

Tri shorts

Anyone know where I can get a nice cheap pair of tri shorts, my last pair seem to have gone distincly transparent and holey. I'm not sure why this could be as I have only used them for a few hundred sessions, they have always been wrung out and left on a radiator to dry and never washed apart from in the shower. What am I doing wrong, isn't this how every triathlete treats their swim-gear?

Comments

• ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    What am I doing wrong, isn't this how every triathlete treats their swim-gear?
    It seems to me that you have two basic problems with your kitcare regime.

Firstly you say that you wring them out. Does this involve twisting them in any way? If so it is likely that each time you do this you will cause microscopic tears in the fibres. In time these will appear as transparent areas and in bad cases as holes.

Secondly you leave them on a radiator to dry. This means the state of the garment in question is constantly changing from dry to wet and then back again. This can have an effect similar bending a piece of metal at the same point repeatedly. Stress fractures in the fibres may occur leading again to transparent areas and in bad cases holes.

I suggest that you try the following. Never ever wring out yoiur tri shorts. Since they will inevitably get wet in the pool try to keep them wet at all times. Leaving them in your bag is likely to help here. If they are not going to be used for an extended period check them daily and water if necessary to prevent them drying out.

Hope this advice is of help with your next pair.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    this made me chuckle. this is exactly how i treat my gear! bet the people at the pool appreciate the odour trail i leave everywhere![:D]
  • I had some tri shorts that i had the same problem with, they were apparently not chlorine resistant which probably caused the problem. i bought some more which were chlorine resistant and they are lasting well plus i never wash them and always wring them out and leave them on the rad!!

Hope this helps.