Home Chat General Chat

Upgrade, or new bike

trisitrisi Posts: 13
20 years ago I cycled competitively at a junior level, but I've decided to settle in to triathlons to keep me fit from here on in. I'm no Tim Don, but am loving the diversity of training.

For my first triathlon season (last year) I trained and raced on a Dawes Giro 400. It only cost me £350 wholesale, but it isn’t too slick on gear changes (Xenon groupset), and it could do with a decent set of wheels. Can I simply upgrade the front and/or rear mech to improve shifting?

If I need a new drivetrain and wheels, it may be more cost effective to sell the Dawes and buy a better quality bike. If that’s the case, then I’d also like a carbon fibre frame (I think), so I’ve short listed the Claude Butler Strada or Torino, and the Focus Cayo. Are these sensible options or should I stick with Alu frame?

As I said, I've been out of the cycling scene for a long time but appreciate quality kit, so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Hi Trisi

You are in much the same situation as me, i raced late 70's then got inebriated & found women.[:D]

Returning to cycling is fun and my first love although with a young family i found running easier to manage.

Now i am on it with a vengence and working hard on my swimming as well. I think, answering your question eventually, that you can upgrade front and rear mechs but only if they are designed for the same cassette or chainset option. I have a Sora triple on my Giant and would love to change it to an Ultegra double but it would mean the brake levers and chainset as well as the gear mechs. There are so many more options now.

You won't necessarily have to change the wheels just the cassette.

But wouldn't a brand new Tri bike be just soooo good.

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    I'd go for new bike (madnurse will probably say I was bound to say that)... at some point whatever you add to your current frame you are gonna need a new frame...

or more importantly workout how much you have to spend and work out if by buying new bits the frame is gonna be left behind.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    LOON

i dare you to mention 0% credit cards .. go on i feckin dare you !!!!!!! [:D]
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    0% credit cards? - oops there I said it

• trisitrisi Posts: 13
    Thanks, all, for your responses.

I remember when Peugeot launched the 'Fibre de Carbone' (he reminisces, hunched over wobbling walking stick), so I'd dearly love a CF frame now I'm cycling regularly & can 'afford' one. I too have baby on the way, so possibly last chance to upgrade before all money goes on nappies.... and kid's bikes!

Appreciate the subliminal 0% advice too - Wiggle & JE James offer this so I think that could be the way forward.

summing up, I think there's an appropriate Essex expression - "You can't polish a turd" !!
  • DedeDede Posts: 35
    upgrading your training bike is a good idea. I have had a trek 1000 for about 4 years it came[/b] with a sora triple groupset decent at the time, new and all that, only just replaced it with Shimano 105 double 9 speed. After reading numerous threads on wasting money on upgrading mediocre frames I took heed to my own intuition and Good God what a difference, bike feels somewhat different the cranks are so much stiffer and the shifting is great. Braking is much better, I actually changed the seat post to a decathlon special, a carbon seat post for £20!! more like a carbon wrap, however very very lightweight and very comfortable for a 200lbs chump! This bike is more like a racer training bike. The purpose of this thread is to share and let anyone know if considering likewise. Shop around, I saved pounds with an online shop buying a new groupset rather than purchasing a new bike. There is nothing wrong with my alpha aluminium frame and forks over the course of years I changed the handle bars to alloy pinarello £20 from LBS. 2004 campag scirocco wheels online £179, 2004 shimano ultegra spd-sl £55 online. There's years still left on it.

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    If you have that nagging thought of "I want a carbon frame" then I would get one because thats what you'll be thinking no matter what groupset you stick on your old frame. Plus its a good motivator to prove you haven't just wasted your money on a fad.