Home Chat General Chat

City Cycling Lung Pollution

As part of my training I have been cycling to work 3 times a week on average.

Its only 28 km round-trip so not the best training for Olympic triathlon but it keeps me sane, and also I have to try and overtake everybody so it always ends up being a semi-sprint...and it fires up my competitive spirit...

I was just wondering as to the pollution aspect.

I tend to have a lot of mucous (sorry!)...some of it quite dark (sorry again) I have even taken to wearing a face-mask which is horrible as it restricts breathing quite a lot.

Does anybody else find they have these issues with cycling in London.....and if so any solutions ??

Cheers

Comments

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi HMS

one advantage of training with a facemask & hence with limited air supply mena you aer effectively altitude training so when you compete in your first tri (hopefully without mask) you wil have masses of oxygen as if you'd come back to sea level - an advantage over us mortals who cant afford training camps in the alps pre season. maybe you could also find some forest parks at weekends & do some brick work (as a suggestion)

madnurse
  • Thanks for the reply MN.

However training with limited oxygen surely this would mean my muscles wouldn't develop as well ?!?

Also sorry what is brick-work ?

Cheers
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Your muscles are alrready wroking with the limited oxygen supply and will be adapting to try & work more efficiently as a result. be like running on cheap 4 star petrol....your engine will cope but when you whack some 4star hi octane fuel in ....

a brick is simply a double session of swim into bike or bike into run (or however you wish to configure it) usually done at less than race distance to help prepare muscles from tramnisition from one discpline to the next.

madnurse (phil)