Home Chat General Chat

compartment syndrome?

learnerlearner Posts: 100
Can anyone help with this one, I am getting a severe pain in the area around my lower calf, roughly where it joins my achillies. This is starting about 15 mins into a run and after about 30mins is agony, to the point where i can hardly walk. I am using ice packs and gentle massage to relieve the pain, gentle because it is so painful to touch.

After about two days I can walk normally again. I am able to cycle normallt but as soon as I break into a jog, bang, off we go again.

My trainers are fairly new and were fitted after gait analysis, I am confused as I played rugby for years and with all the stop start movements I would have expected any weakness to have shown during this time.

Getting really frustrated. Thought I'd ask you lot before going down the physio route. I remember the thread about compression wear but all the advice on tinternet is not to strap. Any idaes????

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I'd always suggest a visit to a physio for any serious and reoccurring injuries, but that's not always an option.

From what you describe it sounds like achilles tendonitis. There are plenty of sites that provide further discussion on this around the web and possible solutions. Saves me copying and pasting it! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m11.gif[/image]

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    not being a huge believer in coincidences...do you still have your old run shoes? If so can you run pain free with them? If so....
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    Britspin, been there tried that this evening. Very short jog on grass around the local park. after 10 mins pain started and so i stopped and walked home. did a good impression of quasimodo by the time i got home. got an appointment with a physio next week. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Shame it wasn't so simple? Last time I had aproblem like that it was a pair of newshoes whose heel came up slightly higher than others & put pressure on the tendon, not in a raise a blister way but a 'tightness', but not enough to make the shoes painful to wear, but once off & trying to walk oh man..
  • ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    Britspin, been there tried that this evening. Very short jog on grass around the local park. after 10 mins pain started and so i stopped and walked home.
    Don't kick Britspin's theory into touch too early. If the new shoes caused the problem and you have tried running in them several times you may have increased the damage. The lack of pain is usually an indication the injury is healing but not necessarily that it has fully healed. Consequently running in your old shoes brings back the pain as your body needs to let you know the injury is still there.

It's a bit like taking antibiotics. You should feel better before the end of the course of tablets but if you then stop taking the tablets before the end of the course the problem will return.

Physio is a good start but your patience may be tested while you have to train on the bike and in the pool for a while.

nb. Why did you stop playing rugby and more importantly why haven't you bought a whistle?
    ashthetash, simple answer as to why i gave up rugby, i was too good and thought i'd give every one else a chance. (ha ha I wish) no really I was a scrum halt who liked to mix it withthe pack and the black eyes and bruises were taking longer and longer to heal. I didn't start ref'ing because i never really knew the laws when i played so god help anyone i was in charge of.

Back to the origonal issue, been out in my old shoes again with a vulcan calf support and managed 20 mins pain free. swapped to my new shoes and did a very gentle 20mins. little bit of tightness but not too bad, feeling it a bit this morning though. getting really friendly with my ice pack. roll on physio next week.

• ashthetashashthetash Posts: 164
    I didn't start ref'ing because i never really knew the laws when i played so god help anyone i was in charge of.
    When I played I had a vague idea of the laws and was often unimpressed with the ref of the days interpretation of same. Since I have been refereeing my knowledge of the laws is much better, but I now realise just how little the players know. At the lower levels of the game the thing they want most is a ref who is fair consistent and can keep up with play. Acutally getting it right within the laws is often less important. Fitness is often the big problem because by the time they retire most players are already a tadge on the slow side. Given you current interests I'm guessing fitness is not a huge problem so maybe you should give it a go.
    it sounds like you're on the recruitment commitee for the rfu. I'll stick to triathlon for a while though I'm only in my 30's so plenty time yet. off to make the most of the sunshine and turn a few pedals before going to work.
    Yeeha, I think, diagnosis from the physio is a tear. Only a small one so should be back to running in 4-6 weeks. Lesson learnt though plenty warm up stretching and warm down stretching after.

More good news I get to spend loads of time in the pool and on the bike in the mean time.

Thanks for all who posted with advice.