Home Chat General Chat

Legs of Iron!!!

Hi all.

I'm currently recovering from Achilles tendonitis in both legs (due to slightly overenthusiastic running last year). I was wondering if anyone knew any strengthening exercises for the muscles/tendons around the ankle, the knee and the hip.

I'm doing heel dips off a stair at the moment, but I've been off running for about eight months now and really don't want the tendonitis coming back, so I want to make my legs as strong as possible.

Your help is really appreciated!

Comments

• tony btony b Posts: 57
    A good strengthener that I do for the ankles is balancing on those circular air-filled cushions. I do slow squats on them (no weight), concentrating on good form. The constant adjustments your ankles have to make to maintain balance are good for strengthening the muscles and tendons. Or you could try a wobble board but that really is tricky!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Also, anything on one leg..stand normally, lift one foot off the floor, keeping hips level, knee to hip height, hold as long as poss, progress to doing this on the wobble cushion, or with your eyes closd, or both.

One legged squats are excellent, slow deliberate high knee walking for 20-30 metres repeat 3-4x. Flexibilty exercises such as pointing your toes & pulling them back 20-30 times each, rotating clock & counter clockwise 10-20 each direction..build up to these numbers.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I had this last year, and was quite lucky to find a report that was published last year saying eccentric loading exericses helped. The main one I used for rehab was heel drops with a weight in the corresponding hand down by your side, then lift up on to the ball of your other foot while keeping your injured foot in the same drop position, then both feet back down. Reps 3x15. Worked wonders for me.

There's a few others here:

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/achilles-tendonitis-1.html
  • Dukey3dDukey3d Posts: 19
    Cool! Thanks for the tips guys.

P.s. does anyone know if things like yoga or pilates are helpful? I know they're good for flexibility, but what about strengthening the joints?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Neither will do any harm, yoga in particular will enhance balance & proprioception & by extension strength, especially one leg stance exercises.