Home Chat General Chat

Post race headache

After a race, or a hard bike/run brick I get a headache which last most of the day.

I assumed it was due to dehydration, even though i'm quite strict about dinking during my ride.

After copious amounts of Gatorade/Isostar/Water it finally subsides to a mild ache.

Can anybody recomend any good post race recovery tips/drinks.

I'm only training/racing sprint distances so it's not about hours in the saddle or on the road.

Thanks

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz Posts: 54
    Are you taking on plenty of water throughout the day? Liquid is better absolbed if you have it little and often so make sure you drink lots in the day leading up to a race or hard training session. If you start the race slightly dehydrated then you will suffer more at the end.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Try one of the following recovery drinks:

Maximuscle Recovermax

SIS Rego

For goodness shake

Lucuzade Sports Recovery

I've used all in the past. I find the first one good but taste is a bit too much for some. SIS Rego is what I currently use. I raced yesterday and even though it was hot I was fine. Drunk a Rego straight after the race, adn another 2 hours after. Seems to work for me.

FGS are brilliant but need to be refrigerated so not great for after a race unless you have a cool bag [:)]

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Do you normally drink tea/coffee or other related cafeine drinks and then abstain before exercise due to their diuretic effects,could even be low blood sugar ,go to your Doc's ,a simple blood test may give you the answer.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    might not be a dehydration headache. i get headaches after long rides (anything over 3 hours) due to tight neck and back muscles. i rub in a bit of ibuprofen cream and the headache gently eases away.
  • trudgertrudger Posts: 61
    Thanks for the tips, gents.

I wil try one of the recovery drinks as prep for my next race.

As for the cause, I will look into muscle rubs, it may also be tension caused by race nerves, but I have always assumed it to be dehydration.

Im not a great drinker of tea/coffee as I find they make me ill if i drink more than 3 cups a day.

Hopefully will get this sorted before i run out of apsrin.

• stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    As jon_g said you may find this is down to your running/cycling style rather than dehydration.

My girlfriend would always develop a bad headache after running but with changing her running style and strengthening neck muscles this no longer happens, I do also insist on her drinks before/during/after plenty of fluid.

Check out the internet there are quite a few articles about headaches after running.