Home Chat General Chat

Scoff

LindsLinds Posts: 124
I like scoff and have managed to feed myself fairly regularly over the years, sometimes all on my own.

However I think I am making a total balls up of the whole sensible feeding/nutrition plan with my training.

I'm only training for a sprint, but yesterday I did a 30km bike ride and when i got home I felt a bit peckish so i had a quick sarnie (ham, cheese, mayo and mango chutney if you're interested) which seemed to sort me out - for a while. But then I was feeling hungry/peckish for the rest of the day, which was only sorted out by a bloody great BBQ later that evening and 3/4 of a tub of Haagen Daas ice cream.

Now I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this might not be the best method of refuelling post exercise, and I haven't got a clue what to do before exercise.

In the past I have totally ignored nutrition, to the extent that i have done 1/2 marathons with no pre race food/drink, but I am getting rather excited/committed about the whole Tri "thing" and want to use this as an opportunity to improve things.

I've heard about a strange and rare wonder food called "porridge" which sounds devilishly exciting/exotic, and I think I may well give it a bash. But most of my training is done in the evening either straight from works, or as soon as I get home, so food is generally taken on after exercising. Am i limiting myself/performance.

Any tips or advise are gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    hi,

nutrition is pretty much the 5th discipline in tri, it is so critical, but it can also be the easiest one to improve. I always like to think of nutrition as what my body needs rather than what YOU want to eat. I find now that those two things are one and the same, as my body tells my brain what it needs and my brain tells me what it wants! But at the start its definitely a training process, especially if you like the ice-cream!

What you will need pre-training is slow-release carbs, fast release carbs and protein.

I would recommend -

2 hours before - slow release carbs (porridge, wholegrain cereals, pasta (brown) - or something like that.

45 mins before - fast release carbs - fruit is your best bet, they are not as fast as sweets etc. but they are better for you! and will provide less of a sugar surge, which will then cause a big dip making you tired.

30 mins before - protein - whey protein shake, I would recommend this even if not doing heavy weights training as it will help project your muscles from breakdown and help increase muscle rebuilding post exercise.

afterwards - fast carbs again, protein if you want, and eat a meal within about 1 hour, lots of complex carbs and protein in that one.
  • LindsLinds Posts: 124
    Tommi

That's great thanks for that - I have seen threads talking about fast and slow release carbs adn had no idea what they were.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    All good as ever Tommi, but I would say the protein post workout is at least as if not more important than pre...
    When to take protein has become quite a big issue recently, with loads of conflicting evidence on the before or after argument. The studies have produced an optimum time of 20 mins before workout, as the protein is digested and in the system during the workout, and when you have it afterwards it will take a while to digest when your muscles need it now!

I personally have one 20 mins before and one straight after. But thats when I'm doing weights training. If I'm just swimming/cycling/running I just take some before as there wont be the same level of muscle breakdown so I dont think I need one afterwards. It is however a case of each to their own, as everyones different!
  • dttridttri Posts: 11
    What do you recommend for early morning swims. I think I may be covering old ground with this as I do recall mention of an early wake up for porridge (lets not go down that route again) but if that isn't an option what is best about 30mins beofre a dip?
    definitely nothing too heavy, as its the worst feeling to have a full stomach in the water.

I have a banana and a glass of O.J. this usually gives me enough energy for the swim! if your finding you don't have the energy then you will have to try and eat an hour or so before, when you should be ok to have porridge/cereal.
  • dttridttri Posts: 11
    Banana and OJ sounds fine to me, anthing for that extra half hour in bed...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    And maybe a sports drink in the bottle..depending on your workout/banana ratio....if you see what I mean.