Home Chat General Chat

Conquering Hills

Any body got any thoughts as to the best way to cycle up hills?

I tend to stay seated and spin up them , Am I better off standing or just carrying on seated?

cheers

do tri

Comments

• grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    I would suggest this is a matter of personal preference?

Personally, and I'm no Armstrong! I like to stay seated, but when I feel the pace drop I stand to accelerate and then go back to seated.

However, I too would love to hear other suggestions as well...
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    I also try and stay in the saddle as much as possible. I find that spinning a high cadence with a low gear suits me best, but then I weigh similiar to a blue whale! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image]

If, I am absolutley hanging out of my rear then I will stand up and use my considerable size to stand on the pedals and see them move round!!!
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    I sit and spin because I read Lance Armstrong's instructional book and he recommends sitting and spinning up the hills to conserve energy and reduce risk of injury [:)]

He says to sit and spin up big long hills but get up and stand for short hills (less tha 1 min to top). So this is what i do. I find it works for me, i have knee trouble and so i struggle standing up to get up hills (plus am probably a bit lazy too...)[:o]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    In contrast to studies on time-trial cyclists on the flat where an optimum cadence of 90rpm has been produced, studies on hill climbing has produced varied results.

You just have to watch the tour, to seen even the best hill climbers in the world have a highly varied choice of gear, cadence and in/out of the saddle. You have the extremes, the lance 100rpm climbing method, ultra efficient, but few can push gears as fast as lance and cadel evans who gets out of the saddle and powers up.

all the studies came to the same conclusion, in hill climbing a rider will produce the best efficiency when ride at a cadence that they are most comfortable and used to!

but that said I think it is a good aim to stay in the saddle on the less steep hills, pushing smaller gears faster, aiming for 80rpm.

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I sit and spin up longs hills, if the hill is steep enough then i'll get out the saddle when i have no lower gears left. Shorter hills i knock it to a higher gear, out of saddle and pump the bike up and over. Can get good power throughout the whole pedal stroke cos of resistance on drivetrain.