Home Chat General Chat

Flat tyres at events

Do race event staff 'pick-up' stranded cyclists who have flat tyres or do you have to walk back to T2? I ask this as during all 3 (Sprint & Olympic)Triathlon's I have taken part in there are always people at the side of the road with flats. Most are changing tyres but some are walking back.

My thought is 'if I get a flat then race over' so i don't carry any kit to change tyres. It would be good to know that someone will pick you up and save what could be a very long walk or is it down to you to look after yourself? or am I relying on the goodness of someones heart??

The answer is probably in the rules, but I never read them as I know I will never win an event.

Comments

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I agree with the fact that a punture is as good as DNF.

Maybe leave a note by your kit that reads:-

If not back by xx:xx then send for help[;)]

Marshall en route would be your only choice of rescue. But i tend to call out 'ok' to people with puntures just in case.
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    would it really be the same as not finishing if you get a puncture? it only takes me about 4 minutes to swap an inner tube (and thats on a rear). why dont you carry a spare tube, some (good quality) tyre levers and a CO2 cartidge in a saddle bag? weighs nothing and it's out of the way. at least then you can finish the race, it wont be a PB, but a race is a race!
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    what co2 cartridges do you use?
  • It must be worth repairing the puncture - you may not get a PB but it's a lot better than a DNF on a race that you may have built up to all season. Besides, I read that one of the recent world cup races was won by a Brit who had a puncture on the bike leg, changed it and still won. I don't practice (probably should...) but I reckon I could still easily change a tyre in 5 mins or less, which isn't the end of the world in an Olympic tri. I carry a spare tyre and a CO2 cannister in a little pouch under the seat (not sure which make). In my first Olympic tri, my chain broke 500m from the end - I ran in with my bike shoes on, was shattered before the run leg began, but at least I finished and felt that the training had been worthwhile.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    ...my chain broke 500m from the end...

Bopo nervously adds a chain link extractor and Shimano tapered rivets to the inner-tube, puncture repair kit and tyre levers in his seat bag.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    my chain isn't 500m long...
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    ... nor are most finish lines!