Home Chat General Chat

What Goggles won't leave marks around my eyes!

Hi all,

Just a question regarding Goggles. I have a good pair of Speedo ones at the moment, ie they stay on and don't let in water. However I have to wear them quite tight and they leave massive lines around my eyes that haven't normally dissipated by the time I get into work later on in the afternoon!

I was thining of buying a new pair anyways so I was wondering if anyone had any suggesitons? Watching the swimming in Manchester people had really little ones on, but i'm wondering if they are good for open swims? I'm also doing the UK 70.3 so may need anti glare?

Also on a side note, Vaseline have just brought out that new skin hydrating shower gel stuff. Anyone used it, I'm starting to really rack up the swim time at the moment and think i'm starting to smell permanently of chlorine and get dried up hair and skin!

Comments

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Ah - all you lovely waxed/shaved pampered boys out there are now worrying about your skin - it's so sweet! No seriously Johnsons also do a baby oil in gel form and you put it on whilst your skin is wet. It's great.

Back to the topic of goggles though, I wear Tyr Racetech and have done for years - they are great try the wiggle website for them or possibly swim stop
  • The most common goggles I have seen at races seems to be the aquasphere seal mask, That's not to say its the best but...I will probs get one when my goggles fall apart.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I only use aquasphere, kaiman in the pool, XP in open water & whatever the one in between is called for umm for to have 3 different goggles in my kit bag at races...But in my defence...no panda eyes.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Im aquasphere aswell, i presume by manchester you mean the recent short-course champs? goggle for the pool are very different than ones for open water. In as much as you would be at a bit of a disadvantage wearing those small goggles in open water as your visibility will be greatly reduced compared to a nice big pair of aquaspheres! I have a pair of nike ones for the pool, nice and small, and aquasphere kaimens for the open water.

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    also I never get goggle marks, you shouldnt need the on too tight because the seal should keep them on your eyes.
  • Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    My vote is for Aquasphere, I have used the Seal model for quite a few years now and nothing compares to the comfort,visiblility and 'stickability' they give, I have taken part in many Aquathlons and Triathlons in rough conditions and they make it a lot easier to sight the buoys and they do not tend to get knocked off in the 'washing machine' of the mass starts.

Like most goggles they do have a limited lifespan and I have found that I will normally require 2 sets for a season, last seasons competition set becomes the training set and a new competition set each season, plus I always try to get the photochromatic lens as these work in all light conditions (the mirror lens version scratch - avoid these).
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the input guys. I think I will be getting myself a pair of Aqua's for the race season and maybe a second pair for the pool.

Thank god this is such a cheap sport eh....
  • Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    If you think the equipment for TRI's is expensive in the UK (I assume you are there) try buying it over here in Perth, we spend a lot of cash on postage/shipping from all over the world as the bike shops here appear to charge twice as much (at least!) as in the UK. Thank goodness for probikekit.

Enjoy the new goggles, do not use a brand new pair in a race as it seems to take one training swim to get the adjustment of the strap just right, yes I have made that mistake, although it was due to not having anything else available at the time.

• BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Personally I use Zoggs Predator – fantastic fit, don’t seem to steam up at all.

I tried the face mask Aquaseal XPs – fine and comfy BUT – when racing in hot weather and have put some sunscreen on they slide up my forehead and leak… Don’t wear them any more – In addition to that massive problem I feel they offer no advantage to normal goggles in open water and can be kicked off easier – that just me though.

Go to a shop, look at the goggles, take them out the pack and press them against your eyes/face, let go, if a slight vacuum has formed and they stay on your face without the straps … they are a good fit. If you need the straps tight you have a dud pair.

I wouldn’t get the really small ones – I think that would be dangerous when knocked/kicked/punched don’t you just love mass starts!