Home Chat General Chat

Torque talk

Hey finally got my first raod bike a nice shiny 2006 speccy allez comp in the gerolsteiner colours very cool SADLY not red but you cant have everything. it has all the stickers with the torque settings on which i guess is so you dont damage the carbon by overtightening so do people pay attention to theese or do you just keep going until it seems tight enough.

if you do use the torque settings does this mean you can buy bike specific torque wrenchs?

am planning a great sunday of messing around with set ups angles etc so if you have any advice please feel free to feed me with your knowledge as at the mo i know slighty less than nothing

cheers

mat

Also was just thinking is it the done thing to bar tape clip on aeros or not.(bloody newbie Qs eh!)

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Hi Sarcher,

With regards to torque settings, I've always err'd on the side of caution with these and used a torque wrench, dosnt have to be bike specific, Halfords do a good range of tools to cover your needs.

Bar tape on aero bars, I've never bothered, but could be personal preference, I dont really grip aero bars as just rest my hands on them so I've never needed tape for extra grip.

Have a good day messing around with your new toy!!!![:D]
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Agree with MG. Alot of people will tell you that you don't need to go that far but I think it is a good idea to get a torque wrench unless you have done alot of mechanical work and have a good feel for torques.

You can get a sealey torque wrench range of 2-24NM which should cover most things - about £36 delivered. Unfortunately you'll also need hex drive sockets. They tend to come calibrated for a year but during that time it'll hopefully give you a good idea of how tight bolts need to be. It is surprising how little torque is recommended.

It's probably all too late now as it's late sunday ahhh [:(]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Buy a torque wrench if you plan to tinker, you can get them in ny good tool store - not the chain DIY's - or you can get them in good bike shops either as a walk in, mail order or internet (Total Cycling sells them a t a reasonable price)
  • starcherstarcher Posts: 126
    Cheers guys have order a lovely new shiny wrench and allen bits for it .

now if only it was so easy to get the perfect bike set up

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    yuk bike adjustments....can be painful if done wrong as mine always is.

I have clip on aeros and i find with no tape on them i am constantly adjusting grip as hands slip about...probably as my bike adjusted wrong.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Well done I heard a few horror stories today re the near destruction of a brand new Colnago after the new and proud owner over did it when he re-adjusted on the road!