Home Chat General Chat

cadence-what do you ride?

Hi i just got my first cadence meter and went on 60mile ride and averaged 86rpm on a hilly course is that about right?

What should i target for a:

20km tt

40km tt

laods 3hr+ ride

Andy

Comments

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    86 sounds pretty good, i like to have a target of 80-85 average on a hilly course, the most efficient cadence on the flat is 90, the same as 90 is the most efficient cadence for running! its all about body science!
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    But i feel like such a twat with my legs going at 90! Plus i see others doing it and they LOOK like twats... not smooth and graceful. I do try though - but usually sit around mid 80s on the flat and up hills i try to keep it at least 70...
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I think you'll find the "tw*ts" pedalling at 90 are the fit ones. Gets you fit spinning.[8D] So longs you dont bounce out the saddle its ok.
    yes, when were spinning at 90 we may look like twats, but we'll be the ones flying past you on the run as your struggling to walk after wasting all your bodies energy on those big gears.
    yep, when you are on riding heavy gears at low cadence you are putting far more strain on your muscles, and they will be your limiting factor, as opposed to your cardiovascular system. So basically your muscles will get tired before you reach your fitness limit. On the other end of the spectrum if you super fast on really easy gears then you will go slower as a result of the limit in your rpm. So the balance is between the two, works out at about 90, this means your cv system is the primary limiting factor, which in us triathletes should be pretty well developed, so we should be able to go longer and faster by relying on it.
  • Brind SurchBrind Surch Posts: 90
    When i was on the flats i was getting cadences of 115rpm plus and i wasent boncing atall

Andy

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Tommi has it bang on..it is the balance between cadence & resistance that counts. No bouncing & a smooth circular pedal action will power you along with speed & grace. Also do remember that like most things 90 might be good/ideal but not for everyone, one size does not fit all. Doing drills, spin classes, single leg drills can all assist with perfecting cadence & smooth pedalling.
  • BarbsaramaBarbsarama Posts: 73
    Ahhhh yeh... lots of confidence around which is great! Who'da thought there'd be so many people passing me when i came 3rd in my last race...

it was the bouncing i was talking about... plus if you read my post i'm talking about sitting around 85 to 90... to make it clear, i was saying that the people who bounce at 90 look silly.
  • tony btony b Posts: 57
    Obviously if you're bouncing, your pedalling too fast, but that's not to say you can't train to pedal well at that cadence. The pedalling technique you should strive for involves a reasonable amount of ankle movement - if your ankle is not flexing much, you're much more likely to bounce. Top cyclists pedalling at very high revs definately don't look like twats.
    Again..if you are bouncing you are pedalling too fast with a too low gearing. There is no definitive cadence contrast Armstrong with Ullrich.
  • tony btony b Posts: 57
    Something I've noticed in spin classes - the women generally can spin much faster than the men, and when I go above a certain cadence I get cramp in my calf. I believe it's because I have large feet (11) and long legs. It's mechanically harder to rotate this combination quickly, wheras the women wiith shorter legs and smaller feet seem to manage better. Not that I'd ever want to make my legs and feet a blur, seems a bit pointless to me. I can still manage 90 to 120 rpm no problem on the road.
    Hugely pointless & dangerous on a spin bike. If you are not pushing the flywheel around, it is taking you, meaning your knee is being pulled forward & round, opening up the knee joint as opposed to pushing around & closing the joint under compression, potentially very damaging.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Match the 85rpm average with your max aerobic HR for the duration of the ride,great for increasing your gear usage.
    from what im hearing i should aim to maintain about 90rpm thourgh out then my be drop a little in hills

Andy

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I'm doing my turbos - see the what training....thread at about 78 - 82 "rpm". I don't know what it is in the field, but its as fast as possible!
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    this is the first year i've concentrated on getting my cadence up. previous years i've just pedalled what felt right and comfortable, but i often used to get cramps in the run of an oly distance race. got a garmin 50 this year and started making sure my cadence was up around 100. took a few weeks to get used to it, but i can now comfortably spin at up to 120! can maintain 100 easy now and no more cramps!
    What would you say are the best drills to improve cadence?

Andy

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i used the trainright dvd that came free with my turbo trainer-the time trial one. really good. i do it once a week (it's about an hour long). i end up leaving a pretty big sweat patch in front of the tv though[:'(], which the mrs doesnt appreciate [:D]