Home Chat General Chat

Olympic Distance - Realistic or Not?

I've got the bug now..... I admit!! Already looking for my next race but having trouble finding another sprint that I can do (lots on). However there is the Orca Tri at Dorney in mid September. For those with a more experienced head, how possible is it for me coming of sprint training (and marathon training earlier in the year) to be ready for September. Am I asking too much of myself?

Thought as always will be much appreciated[:)]

Comments

• You can definitely do it - there's plenty of time before September. And it doesn't matter if you don't set your absolute best possible time because that just gives you an incentive to come back next year. You will need to keep up the training though - an Olympic is alot harder to cuff than a sprint tri (as I found out on my first one).
  • There is no reason why this should be a problem at all, I did bournemouth last year in around 2 hours 50 on very little/no training and the worst taper ever. I am in the TA and went straight to the event off of a two week summer camp stuck in the middle of nowhere with crap food, carrying lots of weight and having no bike or swimming facilities nearby. I had done no proper training before this, had only done some commuting on the bike. Managed to get some nice hilly runs in whilst on camp though.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Go for it if your up for it that what ide say.Think of the achievement.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Damn! None of you said "no".. better look into booking up then[;)]
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Thats the spirit Jonhinio!

I think you can do it, you've got 4 months still left. Caution: you really can quit after that one, you'll be hooked forever!!![8D]
    I've dragged this thread back from the depths of the 220 vaults for one reason... I've booked in for the Orca standard tri at Dorney Lake in September.

What have I done!!!!![:-]
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58
    You've done a good thing Jonhinio.

Your will nail the olympic distance if you've completed a marathon (which I think is a miles tougher challenge). You've also got a few months of good (or at least better) weather before September to get out there on your bike for some long weekend rides and runs.

Good luck.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Well done mate.

Looking at your pic, I guess you would fly around.

Me personally I dont find them any different to doing a sprint tri. They both hurt like hell, just one hurts a little longer.

Thanks lads. Training is going to be interesteing as off on honeymoon in just over a week. Lots of time for running and swimming I've told the other half. She pointed out we were meant to be relaxing... I'm just rewriting my vows to include brick training allowance[:D]