Home Chat General Chat

GUTTED!!!!

Ok, well, just over a week ago I hurt my knee when I was just going out running!!

Thought it was nothing, as you do, and went to Physio next day and Docs!

In a big fat stupid NUTSHELL, I’ve torn the muscles at the bottom of my Quadriceps and along with Cartilage I had removed in my teens, is causing me huge grief!! So, with my first event looming, Sunday 25th MAY, yes, THIS Sunday coming, I rested as told to, took the pills, did exercises given to me by the physio, and had physio to..... last night, had the news I was dreading!!! CAN'T DO THE EVENT!!! Ok, it's not my first Tri, it's a MTB Marathon in Ruthin, but was my first event of the year, and was SO looking forward to it, giving me the spring into my first Tri @ Tatton on the 8th June!! He said, in a word, 'do it at your peril!!' Do it and it would probably only jeopardise June 8th!! Not an option really, and I don't want to not do Tatton!! Gutted isn't in it, and yet, heart of hearts, I know I shouldn't, it's still not right, and yet the little devil sitting on my shoulder says 'do it'!! I know I can't, feeling flatter than the proverbial FLUKE, and now, the world is against me!! Any words of ass kicking would be muchly appreciated and any one else with similar experiences, cause we never like to be alone in these things, would be muchly appreciated!!

On a slight plus, he said I could swim, and for the last 3 nights I’ve hit a PB every night!! I've gone back into the Gym and I’m doing low stroke rowing machine!! Not what I want to do, training was coming on SO well, and now this!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

Comments

• WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Fear not epacse! I play football during the winter and for the last 3 years I have picked up an injury within the final 3 weeks of the season each year, which has meant I have always missed my first race of the season. It's actually got to a point where I can just laugh about it.

Actually going to be giving up football for the season coming, but still suspect that something from the 'Gods' will come down on me weeks before the first race to scupper my season.

Definitely do not risk the earlier race. You'll be even more peeved if you try to do it fail, miss the next one, possibly the one after that. Using the swimming as your driving force! Stay strong, and rest fully!!!! [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image]

YOU CAN DO IT!

• epacseepacse Posts: 92
    Hey, cheers for that!

I've not far off wrapped myself up in cotton wool, but ast week, i was feelimg great, brick training, proably training 'to' hard, a warm night, you know, all that b*LL*X, and WHAM, ran out the gate, and thought, Ooo, now that doesn't feel quite right!! DID the run, idiot i know, and then went on the bike hoping it was 'just in my head' more idiot, i know, and Ooo, it wasn't!!

Couldn't go up the stairs when i got in!!

Over a week now, and it's still strapped to the hilt, and i'm still a grumpt bear!!

SO, looking forward to my events, but again, i know your right!!

Thanks again....

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    having just blown out my first race of 08 altho only with a cold/cough/feeling crappy combo, I feel your pain, I was a miserable ****** for several days after, here is what I wish I had done..the cold still lingered so I trained not at all, well no run or swim. Since I bike to work I did that, & did some resistance /core/balance training..what I wished I had done was more flexibilty/yoga work to re focus my energies & mind. This could well assist in your recovery/rehab &/or prevent further injury, so look on it as prehabilitation.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Oh I know how you feel - last year I set my sights on Ellesmere for 2008 and have been looking forward to it ever since - it's on 1st June and I have had to pull out as I too have an injured knee. Oddly, I can run so I have been really tempted to go ahead with it but as I can't drive or get up the stairs without agony I have decided to let common sense prevail. As if things could get any worse, my hubby is doing the race - and his sexy new wetsuit arrived yesterday![:@]

Off to the Docs again tomorrow, Physio says I need and MRI scan but the doctor is a bit reluctant to do it!

Rest well and get fit for the next one!![:)]

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Just rest it, it's not worth trying to come back too soon. There' be plenty more races. This from someone who had 18 years of knee injury problems (Since I was 11) it's only beenin the past 2 years that I have been able to do any sport properly again.

Rest up, you'll be better for it in the long term.
    Hi...thanks all for getting in touch..... i appreciate all the comments....they all help!

Britspin, i had the cold way back, that was hard enough not training, and resting up, but this ones killing me!!

Again, thank you... i'll rest, your all right, and being a bloke, that's difficult enough to admit in itself!! [:D]
  • millwardpmillwardp Posts: 20
    How long do you think you're going to be out for? Sounds like a serious injury...well worth resting it though. I ran through a shin injury a few years ago and they have never been right since ( £'s worth of private treatment and an NHS physio have yet to fix it)

Sick for you [image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m15.gif[/image]
    Well, physio last night said 'you might make the 8th, you might not! All depneds on whether the treatment works, you rest and the body decides it wants to mend'! Great, what i want to hear that!! [X(]

It doesn't help i not only had the cartlidge removed in my teens, but in my 20's i had a bike accident to, and so my knee's have been, sensitive shall we say, ever since!

And i SO don't want to miss my first Tri!

It's my forst year, got so into it, i've entered one a month starting June through to September where i am doing a sponsored ride from London To Paris!! I have then entered the Oulton Park Duathlon!!

I know i shouldn't moan, and i don't mean to sound like i am, it's the disapointment, the let down..... even though my first event this sunday was a MTB MArathon, it was my warm up into what should have been a great year!!

[:o] [:o]

• legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Keep resting it, eat well and cross everything - there's still time for it to heal! I know it's hard but try not to let it get you down! You need to focus your energy on getting fit for the 8th - worry/stress won't help!!

I was at the Physio yesterday and Docs again today - off to the orthopedic bloke sometime soon - apparently mine is a patella tracking problem which may or may not need surgery - oh it's all great news this week isn't it. At guess I know for certian that I won't be racing on the 1st!

Best of luck with the recovery - I really hope you make it but if not you'll be so ready for the next one!!

LB
    Arr,real sorry to hear....not a great week then for either of us!

Yeah, i'm resting, through gritted teeth....although, i did a session on the rower last night, and as i've said, still swimming!

Well, i'm real sorry to hear you won't make the first, keep us posted though as to how it's going

[:D]
  • Look on the bright side. I'm in my first Tri season and suffered a groin injury (Gillmore's Groin) in my second brick session.

Having to wait til 27th June for the resulting operation - 6 weeks before London. I am able to swim & bike but running creates soreness.

All this wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't one of 6 from my office doing London and to DNS would render me a laughing stock (I guess I take Tri a bit more seriously than the others who consider me an Tri addict). Worse than DNS would be to finish behind any of them groin injury/operation or not.