Home Chat General Chat

pyro's

woodywoody Posts: 52
I have a pair of pyro's. and tried them out before using them for my first ever tri in a month. Question, how do you manage to get your feet into them when on the move, my trainers keep getting caught on the strap supports. I use elastic laces in my trainers.

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi,they take abit of getting use to.When you put them on the pedals make sure the velcro is fastened to its widest point so the strap is secure and not likely to close up.Make sure the elastic laces are not sticking out or have to much loose ends to stop the trainer from sliding in,when you start riding get up to get up to a reasonable speed before trying to slide your shoes into the platforms,it is a slightly modified technique to the cycle shoe transition.

One point is that you may have to raise the saddle and bars to compensate for the extra sole height from your trainers being placed onto what would normally be your shoe base.Best of luck,once you get used to them you should reap benefits.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    Dumb question of the day .. what are pyros?
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    http://www.trisports.com/pyroplatforms.html

http://www.tfn.uk.com/acatalog/Pyro_Pedal_Platforms.html

That aught to solve the million dollar question of the day; now where's my price money!?? [>:]

Just kidding, a coke when we meet will do just fine.[:D]
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    More to the point..why 'pyros'..set your feet ablaze?
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    Thanks jon.E

I will keep trying, but had thought about duck tape on the front of the trainers after posting, to solve the digging in problem. size 11 feet don't help much I suspect.

I put my foot on the top of the pyros before getting upto speed, is this correct, or do you use them upside down, then flip the pedel over and insert the feet?

I did move the saddle up to allow for the pyros, I'm a cyclists, who has just learnt to swim, so now gonna put that to the test.

I want to use them really for this Tri, as it's a short one, and the time saved by not having to change shoes will make a difference, but it won't make much difference, I still wouldn't win by a long shot.

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Hey woody,

you didn't mention anything about that drink I earned in your post. I will ignore this for once, but next time..... (well, can't think of anything right now). By the way ,I'm from Belgium, so not a big chance that we'll meet anyway[:(].
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi Woody,I prefer to use them the right way up as my trainers slip on the reverse of the pedals.You could use small elastic bands attached to the rear gear mech to hold the platforms horizontal while you jump on the bike so when you start pedaling they snap.The Pyro's are ideal for short course or flat course but I prefer my normal cycle shoes for long or hilly courses.They can take alot of abuse but keep checking the tightness of the screws as they do work loose,and like you I have size 11's.
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    Hi Jon.E. I had seen the elastic band thing mentioned in a mag a while back and must play with this. I also found the bolts work loose, but have solved that, loctite threadlock on the threads, something for you to try, but get the blue non hardening version. I agree the pyro's are ideal for short course but you can't beat using proper cycling shoes for long or hilly rides where the comfort and firmness are prefered.