Home Chat General Chat

Speeding up

sfullersfuller Posts: 628
Hill sprints,start with 100 to 200m hills and increase the distance,I would have thought that fell running would have done it for you tho'.

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Hello all,

So in the last few months my running has progressed nicely; firstly, I could only run about 4k before being knackered and now Im running 12,13,14km and building, secondly, I hated road running and only run on the treadmill but since forcing myself to push on to the road and fell running I can now say I hate running on the treadmill.....

BUT I now seem to have flat lined on my speed.... I can run 10k in 50mins, 12k in 60mins.... no matter how hard I run I can break the 5min/km barrier.... so my question is, what are the best methods to 'speeding up' my run without making my heart jump out of my chest and my legs melt?

Thanks

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Gotta agree with the hill sprints suggestion - works wonders for speed and strength.

When you're doing a longer run with decent hills, attack the hills every time.

It'll either kill you or cure you!
    Thanks. Hill running it is then... need to find myself a decent hill?!?! [8|]
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    hill running is ace for increasing pace and power, this is the way i do it, i have a hill by me which has 3 steep sections and 2 flat sections in between, so i sprint up the hills on the forefoot, jog the flat sections, then jog all the way back down and do this 5 times, its painful to say the least, but works wonders!

Also another use of hills for increasing speed is to run down them! By running faster than your usual speed downhill for the same effort it will help to retrain your neuromuscular system to get used to running faster.

This may seem a bit odd but it is actually your brain that provides the initial limitation in performance, this is due to your brain stopping you from running to your limits thus compromising energy stores etc. which you may need to survive. This was demonstrated by studies on the pH of blood from vessels within muscles during intense exercise, which showed that despite the perceived fatigue there was no significant drop in pH which would indicate lactic acid build up. So what was concluded was that the brain tells you your muscles are hurting as a protective mechanism, so you dont run out of energy as you may need it to escape from the saber tooth tiger!

so what can be done about this? Intervals! by running in intervals above and below your anaerobic threshold you will retrain your brain to allow you to run faster.

The best way I find to do this is to do distances of either 5-10k, and run 200m at say 15kph and 200 at 20kph, until the distance is completed. Ideally this is done on a treadmill, because it gives you your speed, but because treadmills are evil machines that give you poor running technique the best way is to find a running track, and estimate speed.

So in your case sfuller, if you are running 5 min kilometres, try doing 200 at 10kph roughly, and 200 at 14kph for 5k to start with.

the next stage i do is to then reduce the jogging time and increasing time at the higher speed.

Oh an also, i find a nike plus kit, either the normal one or the new wristband one, one of the best running investments I have made. I dont have nike shoes, but i inserted the sensor into the tongue of my asics and sewed around it. As long as it cant move your all good.

• Intervals have helped improve from 45min 10k PB to 38:28 PB!

Here is an example of what i do at the track:

800m (2 lap) warm up

400m @ 60-70%

400m easy recovery

800m @ 70-80%

400m easy easy recovery

1200m @ 70-80

400m easy recovery

1600m @ desired race pace

Then reverse the pattern back to 1 lap then warm down

I regularly do this kind of session with a heart rate monitor, its worked in upping my lactate freshhold!

Others may pull this to pieces but its worked for me and it may work for!

And again hill are good too but dont over do it or you'll end up with a sore calf and hamstring or 2!!!

Hope this helps

OK, thanks for the advice.... I think intervals are my best option considering I live in north london and there isnt many hills. I will revise my training schedule for next week and start it then.

I run 3 times a week;

- 1x long run and I up my distance by 10% every week, so far Im on to 14k

- 1x 10k run, I try do this as fast as possible to try and up my pace

- 1x 5k run, this is done in part of a brick session.

These are my staple runs through the week, sometimes I fit a couple more 5k runs in too.

So I think I will replace my 10k run for a 10k interval session, so I will do the courses that i do but in intervals.... does this sound right?

Thanks
  • If you're in north London then try Hampstead Heath - Parliament Hill is perfect for hill training. You can also fit in a wetsuit swim in the Lido while you're there.
    hampstead heath is abit further north than me! but thanks

Is the Lido the outdoor pool in Hampstead heath?
  • yes - 60m long and easy to swim in a wetsuit.