Home Chat General Chat

fog in the gogs

A simple question really but having trawled 20 pages of threads I couldn't find any previous info. How do you stop goggles steaming up especially in open water? I have bought aquasphere antifog and spray it liberally before rinsing and using the goggles but after 500m or so the fog begins and whilst dunking them works for another 100m it seems to become a ever decreasing cycle. I used to use spit in scuba diving but this can draw a range of responses in the pool (and didn't work either). Need to get this sorted for Wimbleball in 4 weeks or may have quite a zigzag swim.

Comments

• jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    are you using the spray properly? spray it on (pretty liberally!) and leave for 10 seconds then rinse. i usually let the goggles dry out then. aquasphere is the first antifog i've ever used that worked....[&:]
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Personaly I use the spary as follows and it seems to work:

Spray the spray liberaly on the insdie of the goggle - wipe/clean the inside with a cloth - use a dry teatowel to wipe dry the inside of the goggle (no rinsing with water. Avoid getting water on the inside of my goggle at all costs...

The best solotion is regular replacent of the goggles as the more small scratcj on the inside the less fog resistant they get.
  • legalbeaglelegalbeagle Posts: 208
    do you wet your face before you put them on? it cools the area around the eye and helps to stop the steamy problem.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Great tip legalbeagle!!

There was an article in 220 a few months ago about the anti-fog possibilities. I remember the funniest one they wrote: cut a potatoe in half and rub the inside of the goggles wth it. Rince, and you have a cheap anti-fog solution. (not sure if it works with mashed potatoes as well??[8|][;)]).
  • dunedogdunedog Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the tips. I think rinsing and not drying may be the problem so I'll give it a try in the Lake this weekend. If all else fails I'll try the potato! I do use Aquasphere Seal goggles so maybe the extra volume and forehead coverage have an effect?
    Hey Benny - I can't believe the potato story! I can feel a whole new thread ..

How have you used your potato today??
    don't ever use potatoes that aren't shaved/waxed. They really slow you down.[:D] (keep your goggles away from porridge at all times).

No, really; true story man.
  • I've had similar problems and generally try the aqua sphere anti-fog stuff. The other option is to buy a new pair of goggles, test them once to check that they seal correctly and then keep them just for race days. New goggles come with an anti-fog film which degrades over time, meaning that they should be ok when new and not need any spit/anti-fog solution at all. You can then just use the battered old goggles for training sessions.
  • learnerlearner Posts: 100
    Rub a fairy on your lenses!!!!

No seriously, an old trick from my motorcycling days, put a SMALL spot of fairy liquid(other brands of washing up liquid are available) onto a bit of bog paper and rub it into the inside of your lenses. Enentually it goes clear and smear free and hey presto fog free lenses. Please noe the SMALL spot recomendation as too much and when you flush your goggles the world does go a bit bubbly.

I also tried bob heathes anti fog, not good made my eyes water.

• dunedogdunedog Posts: 15
    Well, just had a go with rinsed and dried goggles and much, much better although there was a bit of mist by the end of 30 mins in a very cold lake. Didn't notice that too much as the swim turned into a bit of a battle for survival due to sudden wind and waves. Thanks again for all the tips. Maybe goggles with an electrically heated lens could be the future?
    Learner - never tried the fairy but believe me olive oil works wonders and doesn't sting your eyes - or go frothy!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Hey benny! You're talking about rubbing your spuds on a tri forum? Weird...[:)]

Actually, we always used to take half a spud when we went snorkelling when I was a lad. Rub on the inside of your mask and dry it off. Brilliant. Can't see any way to get half a potato into my goggles, though?

Aquasphere works fine for me, although really cold water will defeat it. In this case, I just wait for a few more minutes until the fog droplets get big enough to run off the lenses.

Fairy liquid? I have a funny mental picture of the whole swim pack stopping after the first 100m and screaming 'Ahhh, my eyes!' - seriously, that stuff would STING.[:(]

Replace goggles regularly, too. Not just good for anti-fog properties, but you should do this to stop chances of dirt and bacteria build-up. Good excuse to satisfy the tri shopping urges that we all get, too, without breaking the bank.

I forgot to mention... this is triathlon so please make sure you use the fastest potato available - any red variety will do.
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Tried the fairy liquid option for this mornings swim:

I use Aquaspheres and they always fog up after 25-30 lengths. Last night I put a spot of fairy (lime and tea tree variety!!) onto a piece of kitchen roll and rubbed it gently onto the lens. Left it over night and it was superb!

Absolutley no sign of fog for the whole session. Think the secret was to keep them dry before the swim so that I didn't get an eye full of foam.

Thanks for the tip.

• learnerlearner Posts: 100
    glad it worked for you, see fairies can be useful. lime and tea tree though come on have you not heard of jasmine and rose flavour.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    First select a red potato, shave your potato to within an inch of its life, using olive oil & fairy liquid as a lubricant. Combine with oatmeal to make a potato/porridge mix, apply to goggles & leave overnight to dry. Attempt to wash off next morning & resort to new goggles in desperation.
  • paulfitzpaulfitz Posts: 67
    Funnily enough the DVD that come with this months 220 has a thing about goggles steaming up.

Rick Kiddle says to use the spray, then dunk and rinse in the water. But the extra bit I didnt know was to splash your face first to cool it down. This brings the temp or water outside and face inside the goggles closer together and reduces fogging. Seemed to work when I tried it at Liquid Leisure this weekend
    paulfitz wrote:

But the extra bit I didnt know was to splash your face first to cool it down. This brings the temp or water outside and face inside the goggles closer together and reduces fogging.

Now thats a great tip!!!

(oh yes ,britspin, nice advice[image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m6.gif[/image],well done lad)
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    always happy to help.
  • lele Posts: 3
    johnsons baby shampoo works a treat too, plus doesnt sting the eyes.

one small drop on the goggles, rub it in with finger, rinse the goggles in the water once - ready to go.