Home Chat General Chat

Running - any tips on breathing right?

Used to run a lot when I was younger (many, many years ago!!) and am trying to get the rythmn back. Seem to be gasping almost straight away and then my leg muscles turn to lead. Frustrating to say the least and I'm starting to dread going for a run. Any tips? Any one else had this problem?

Comments

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    welcome AB, you say you used to run, possibly your expectations are now a little too high. slow down and take things gradually, i have had the same sort of problems. If you try to push it too much too early you will end up injured.

Have you used a heart rate monitor? Really useful things. most of your training needs to be done at an aerobic level, only put in intervals and speed work when you have a good distance base.

take it slow build it up gradually

It's still there you just have to coax it out[:D][:D]

David
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi AB.

How long do you keep at it for? A lot of people find that they are really out of breath after a few minutes and their legs feel heavy... this is (sometimes) just your body getting warmed up... if you still feel like this after 15 mins then there's another problem..

As for breathing start off at a really slow jog and breath deep (think budda belly)... it takes a bit of getting used to but once you get it its easier than panting like a dawg!

jazdawg!
  • Trying the run 5 min / walk 1 min method but just struggling to keep it going. Guess maybe you're right guys and just a bit of time is needed. [&:] Seems like really hard work though and only 8 1/2 weeks to go!
    Hi,

Thats a good way to get into it... the thing is when you start off is to run as slowly as you possibly can and gradually increase the pace through the run... this'll build up the strength in your legs and give you a good aerobic workout... keep at it... it will suddenly all come together!

jazdog
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    Hi AB

Have read your posts. I'm a PT and I see people like you all the time .... haven't run for ages if ever. All the advice you've been given is definitely right ... take it slowly , build it up, doing the intervals is good do the 5 mins run 1 min walk until you feel ok doing it then take it up 6 mins etc etc and make sure you have rest days where you're not running.

Don't panic about the time you have left to train there are no set rules, do the best you can and they'll be plenty more triathlons to enter after this one. Use it as a learning curve.

Let us know how its coming along.

Jo
  • Thanks for the encouragement, good to know I'm doing it right. Bit of a breakthrough tonight felt really good as I was running and thought I'd just keep going and ran for 15 mins straight, fluid and smooth (apart from the hill [:@]) Felt great!! Will do the interval taining again Thur though rather than rushing it.
    Excellent AB... keep at it.. if you can go for 15 mins without stopping you'll be able to do the 5k for a sprint no bother... increase the time you run non stop for a little at a time -- couple of minutes - no more than 5 and there'll be no stopping you.

Congrats and keep at it!

jazdog
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Posts: 0
    Bit of an update and maybe encourage any other beginners out there. After the problems a couple of weeks ago I managed to run 22 mins straight tonight at a smooth even pace and steady breathing (even up and down hills!) Feeling gooooooooood![:)][:D][:)] Stay with it!!
    Well done AB, the slow build up works, just keep it gradual and you won't hit any injuries either.

David
    Too late on the injuries!! Managed to stab my bike pedal into my calf muscle!! OWWW![:(] Big bruise and sore muscle. Luckily coincides with the fact I'm off to Newcastle today to watch the match tmorrow so a couple of rest days coming up!

On the running thoough the slow build up really works. Used a book called Running Made Easy and it gives great programmes, tips and motivation if it's something you haven't doen before or not for a while.
    Hi AB

Great news about the running ... not so good about the injury... at least it wasn't a running injury as such... keep it going!!!

jaz
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    OUCH !!!!!

if you'd left your wetsuit on you wouldnt have half the bruising (tuh!)

madnurse [:D]
    Now why didn't I think of that!! So just about to try on the aforementioned wetsuit - think it may be a giggle!! Haven't worn one since I was a teenage surf babe!
    dont forget to set your digital camera !!!
    Well the reaction from my beloved was to laugh! Not a good start - is meant to be that tight? Need to try again with the running gear underneath.

Camera - no way!! It could put everyone off their lunch![:D]
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    AB...enjoy the match ... don't have enough holiday to make it myself...wonder if they'll wheel Big Al' out for a 89th minute penalty or summat
    Ab - hopefully you haad tried a few suits before buying this one - if the right size it will feel snugg initially but should begin to ease if you leave it on for a while. Also I found it much easier to wear when actualy in the water.

so your 'beloved' didint see you as the next james bond girls when you tried it ???? he'll be in the corner with David

madnurse (phil)
    news from the corner[8D]

You remember the questions about clipless pedals and the guffaws that resulted due to everyone falling off at zero miles an hour? Well sunday i joined the team[&:]

Leaving the tea shop after a little light refreshment 45m into the ride, we had to cycle out via a gravel path, and guess who's front wheel got stuck in deep gravel just as both feet finally clicked into the pedals? Gravel in your knee with 20 miles to go is ....[:(]

David

So looney you're a toon fan??? Having to take 2 days leave as we are flying up but hopefully should be worth it! Reckon Big Al will make an appearance but don't think he'll be doing a lot.

On the wetsuit its a hire one (want to make sure I like this before I invest too much!) At least I know the beloved doesn't have a rubber fetish![:D][:D][:D]
    aye...grew up in a village that is 50/50 with the others fortunately my cousin was/is a toon fan and I was saved

Yeah i'd have needed to take 2 half days to make the drive there and back - teach me to go on honeymoon and use all my holiday in one go eh?

Well congrats on the honeymoon (you're sure you couldn't have waited and spent it in Newcastle?[;)]) - we're flying up, otherwise min 6 hours in car!!
    Nah...it was a year ago... I had to take some of this years holiday for it hence none now....

he was supposed to retired then before GS talked him out of it...to close a boring/off topic (for the others) subject for the other only good thing GS did was the signings...shame he couldn't manage his own breakfast though