Home Chat General Chat

Bike kit upgrade

One for the bike techies out there...

I've decided to upgrade my bike, but don't have a lot to spend. I already have aero bars, so decided on new wheels, and possibly drivetrain (after reading loads of info these seemed the best return for my money).

I got a good deal on some Ultegra wheels, however will need to move up to a 10spd. Currently my bike's all Tiagra kit. What I need to know is:

How much of the kit do I need to upgrade for 10spd?

Is Ultegra way better than Tiagra, or 105?

Can I use a 9spd chainset with 10spd cassette? (I read on another forum you can get away with this).

Do I need to replace everything (so levers, derailleurs etc as well)?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I'm on a tightish budget, but want to do the best improvements I can.

Comments

• krazycalkrazycal Posts: 45
    I dont know exactly what you need to change but it goes in a hierachyof (worst to best) of; Tiagra, 105, Ultegra. Cycling plus says that unless your really specific then 105 is really good for the money and adequate.
  • FastWestieFastWestie Posts: 26
    You need to change the cassette, chain, shifters as a minimum and possibly chainrings, rear mech and front mech

I think 105 is good enough

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Thanks guys,

looks like my new wheels weren't quite the bargain I thought as I'll probably end up having to buy the whole set. Still at least I can go with 105 instead and save a little there... or I could sell the rear wheel on ebay, hopefully make a slight profit, and get a different one... where's my calculator?