Home Chat General Chat

Racing with HR

LuckyLucky Posts: 137
So tonight see's me in my first proper sprint of 2008 almost exactly a year after my first ever tri, time to find out how the training has gone...

Anyway a simple question, what are your views on racing with an HRM, I train with one all the time and have a Garmin 305, but I'm debating just wearing my swimming watch (Timex Ironman) for the course and just timing myself and ignoring HR data (by not having it) and going on feel. Having done 4 races last year and also one last month I reckon I know how my body will perform and suspect that watching my heart rate go up is slowing me down in a race as the training part of my mind takes over and commands me to slow down / hold back, when clearly in race I should be pushing a lot harder.

Be interested to see what other people think.

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    I've been thinking the same thing.

My thoughts are that for shorter events you're probably wasting time (time might be better spent thinking of technique and feeling as you mentioned) looking at heart rate when it might vary quite alot and should be at a high heart rate. I wear my HR monitor for 10k bike time trials but never look at it cos it's just total effort from start to finish. I've a half ironman in Sept when I intend to use HR as the risk is I wouldn't make it round.

Also interested to hear what others say
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    I think in training a heart rate monitor is a good thing especially if you like using heart rate zones to get specific training effects. However after a year of training in this way you normally have a good idea of what your heart rate is and what zone you are in due to your learnt perception of effort. So in a sprint race I think having a watch to check that you are meeting or improving on your predicted times is all thats required and not having to wear your heart belt is one less piece of kit to worry about .

I would still train with a heart rate monitor though as if the average rate is decreasing along with your times that is a good indicator of improved fitness.

I probably would agree with transit that in longer endurance races a heart rate monitor maybe more useful however I have not had experience in these events so my opinion is only subjective.

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Train with the gadgets but compete with your head. No doubt before i do any competitions my HR would be in performance zone before i do anything. Best not to have any distractions from focusing, you may be able to push the boundaries of your normal 'training' limits.
  • rodderzrodderz Posts: 14
    i would say the same. i used my HRM very little in races and i find i manage to push harder too.
  • LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    Having done the race last night just wearing a watch the my conclusion is the same, I pushed harder than I probably would've done had I been wearing my HRM and the end result was beating my PB by 5 minutes

;-)
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    nice one. What did you improve by 5mins?
  • GallantryGallantry Posts: 38
    I'd not be bothered too much looking at HR for either sprints or Oly, but above that then yes (not that I know as I've not done my half yet - that's in two weeks)..... I went to London last year (Oly distance) and my HRM died on the start line... so I raced it "blind" so to speak and came in about 15mins (mainly because of the bike) faster then I expected!!

GOOD LUCK - unless of course you did your race in which case - HOPE IT WENT WELL!!!

• LuckyLucky Posts: 137
    looks like about 3 minutes on the swim and then a minute on each of the bike and run, waiting on the offical times...
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I always use it in training and in racing, and I always record the data. But the data is for the most part (not always) recorded for posterity and I generally ignore it during races, and just go on feel. Having said this I did a 5 mile road race yesterday and blew at mile 3 if I had watched the HRM I might have avoided this