Home Chat General Chat

Tri economics

toadtoad Posts: 104
ok here is the thing

With a few sprints under my belt his year I am doing my first olympic distance triathlon

My bike has been an entry level Claude Butler road bike which has served me well, but I think i would like to upgrade.

There has been alot of talk about the felt b2 pro valued between £3000-£3500. This price is 10% of my annual earnings and I am also in the lucky situation where I am my own boss and can decide how many hours I work.

For an improved time would you reduce your hours by 10% so that you could have an extra day per fortnight to train hard sticking with the old claude butler?

Or buy a new bike like the felt b2 pro ?

Obviously both situations would cost you the same however which will give you the biggest reduction in time ?

I am wanting to do a time under 2hrs 45 minutes with the hope that one day I can do a 2hr 20min

Comments

• trijunkerstrijunkers Posts: 55
    Personally I'd get the new bike but I'd get it from Wiggle.co.uk where it's only £2,500 and you get a free hard case!

• TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    ooo thats an interesting point, i personally would go for the bike as its only 10% of your earnings from 1 year and it will last you many whereas if you go for the extra training time it will be 10% off your earnings for each year, unless you are only going to do this for 1 year, which seems a bit of a short term solution. It does depend on how much training time you currently have got though, as an extra day when you are only training for a few days a week would make a big difference, whereas if you are training everyday the extra time wont make as big a difference. You are also limited in what you can achieve in an extra day, as you could probably only utilise 3-4 hours out of it, otherwise you may border overtraining.

maybe have a look at what your currently doing in training sessions and when. I train 3 times a day, 7.30-8.30, 12-1 during my lunch hour and 7-8 in the evening, these short sharp training sessions allow me to load up on intensity to increase speed and power, then at the weekend i can extend the length of my sessions to increase endurance.

Also the bike will be nice and shiney. and it has red on it! which makes it much faster.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Buy the bike, when you have it you won't need to justify it
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    thanks for your comments,

Will definitely have a look at wiggle, also might give the daily multiple 60 min sessions ago, no justification required.
  • andyfb78andyfb78 Posts: 7
    you won't like me for this.....nor do I...

but, depends whether you want a nice bike or to go faster....

spend £1000 on a bike from ebay and £2500 on swim coaching, run coaching and bike holidays to warm places during the winter and you will go much much faster than you will with the same legs on a flash bike.......

I keep nearly buying expensive wheels then I realise this is coming out of my warm weather budget.....

But I covet a Felt too...........

• bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    making some good points here andy. Buying an extremely expensive bike won't make you the best, riding it a lot will.