Home Chat General Chat

Times to judge training against

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
I have read many times about people asking what are good and what are bad times, so they can train to aim for these times. Myself included.

Could we start using this thread for people to post there race/training/trial times.

Example

Ipswich Sprint Triathlon

400m Swim 6mins

21Km Bike 60 mins

5km Run 24mins.

I don't see it putting anybody off. I have noticed that triathletes like to compare and train to other peoples times.

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Sevenoaks

400m Swim= 7min 42

27km bike = 54min 14

8km run = 42min 57 (was cross country)
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Yeah perfect. By the by the times I showed as an example weren't actually my times. Mine are much worse than that lol.

At least now I and others will have somethig to train to.

Thanks.

• RobRob Posts: 209
    JasonB, come on play the game! Fess up, what were YOUR times?!

I did Dorchester Tri at the weekend & did:

400m swim - 9.11

14 mile bike - 47.02

4 mile run - 25.48

Cheers
    OK So haven't done a triathlno since I was about 20 years old. (First triathlon in two months 300m,21Km,4km)

So for training times I have

300m 6mins 30secs

21km Bike 54mins

4km run 21 mins

I am doing a wee one to get into it. But must admit am chaffing at the bit to do one now, becuase I am sure comepting will really bring the times down.

Oops got my run wrong. It is 20mins for a 4km
  • Good call....

1st triathlon ever the London one in August:

1500 - 23:30

40km - 1:17

10km - 41:50

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Sounds good to me..

Wick Mini

400m - 7:28

10k - 22:30

3k run - 11:20

Full sprint on sat- I'll post times when I get them - hoping for under 1hr30 but the bike course is cliff like - no summer holiday jokes please![:D][:D]

jaz
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Did my first last Sunday

Swim 400m 10.24

Bike 10 miles 33.57

Run 3 miles 19.00

My swimming time is awful but I can only improve.

• AbboAbbo Posts: 2
    HARLECH TRI - last Sunday.

400m - 7.48

37km - 1.13

6km - 30.54 (bloody sand dunes and a 25% hill)
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Edinburgh Sprint on Saturday..

Swim 750 - 16:06

Bike 20k - 39:20

Run 5k - 23:31

Swim was a bit of a scrum - continuous wave format start in lane 1 of a 50m pool and turn under the ropes started off with 4 of us going down the one lane - I stayed back and then got stuck behind a guy and couldn't get past - still saved energy for the challenging bike course -

well chuffed with overall time of 1hr 22:02

Great event - they do it again on new years day if anyone fancies it!
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Stratford

Swim(400)...9:49.00

Bike(23Km)...54:05.00

Run(5K)...28:46.0

total - 1:32:40

The start and end of the bike course is far from ideal traffic, traffic lights and road works... though in the results my bike was on a par with my swim... my run cost me about 50places :( - this was done to me not being able to pace my runs correctly something I need to practice

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Just picked up on this thread and would appreciate some comments/advice.

First Tri in 5 weeks time and my current training times are as follows:

400m Swim - 7m 28s

20km Bike - 41m 30s

5km Run - 20m 32s

To which legs should I add T1 and T2 times and how much, roughly, should I add for each transition?

I would add that the run time on the day will be significantly slower as it will be the first time I've strung the lot together. Still, 5 weeks of training left to get as prepared as I can.
  • trichamptrichamp Posts: 22
    Wella

T1 is usually added to the swim time and T2 to the bike but some events do it differently. As for time to add on it depends on how fast you go through it. I've seen anything from 30 secs to 3 mins and people stopping to get changed and that's just for sprint distances!!

Cheers Champ.

I guess time will tell on the day. Watched some triathlon coverage on TV the other day and transitions generally look like a free for all and thats with professionals involved.

I guess a bit of planning and preparation is required on this one.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    At Stratford ... as far as I can tell both T1 and T2 were put on the bike...i.e. my swim and run matched my times on my watch and the bike matched as well because I forgot to set a new lap leaving t1 and entering t2.

regarding free for all that is pretty much the case... you have people racking and retrieving bikes and racing all at the same time....

Someone at Stratford put their bike on my slot..(surely the kit laid out below was a big clue it was in use) I suspect they probably had some difficulty untangling my bike from their's when they came to t1 - all part of the game or summat

• Wella - the London Triathlon website shows all the results/times from the 2006 Blenheim and 2005 London triathlons, including transitions, so that should give you a rough benchmark time to work off. However, worth noting that the T1 and T2 times vary quite alot depending on the distances into and out of transition (e.g. the Blenheim T1 timings include a 400m barefoot run up the hill from the lake into transition).
    Thanks for that, I've downloaded them to compare.

I have the results for last years St. Albans Tri, the event I'm doing, but the times are split down to the same detail as they just give 3 times for the swim, bike and run.

Good to benchmark against something though.
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    Wella depending on what your wearing will affect your time in trans, if for instance you wear a tri suit your dont have to bother putting a top on, you can just put your helmet on and shoes and be off. Points like this only give you a few seconds but add a few of them up and you could save yourself a minute or two.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Eyemouth sprint tri sept 08 (my only tri)

750m swim 11.40

12m cycle 42.45

3m run 24.20

need to work on my running and cycling for the next one!!!!