Home Chat General Chat

Garmin recharge.

BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
Does anyone know if I should allow my Garmin 305 to completely discharge before recharging..it goes into recharge mode after every download/upload of info & I leave it until it is topped up..some batteries don't like this some are OK..should I read the manual?

Comments

• GallantryGallantry Posts: 38
    Hi Britspin... I can't help - I have inadvertently fully discharged my Garmin before but generally like yourself recharge when I download - had it for about a year and haven't noticed any significant change in charge length etc.

Hope that helps a bit at least!

Cheers!

• learnerlearner Posts: 100
    i had a 301 for three years, i never used to fully discharge it, just plug it in and download. Then after a workout at the gym forgot it was in my bag and rode home, and you've guessed it it fell out and i lost... much swearing and a few angry words later my wife got me a 305 model (god bless birthdays). I do the same with this one but the battery doesn't last as long. maybe it's because it's a smaller unit. now i tend to leave workouts in the history and download en mass.

just out of interest, do you use yours during the swim and if so how. ie in a dry pack or just on your wrist?

• mattymatty Posts: 37
    Hi leaner,

I used mine in a pool swim as it says you can us it in up to 1m of water. Well it doesnt and it broke!!

I dont think there is any way to use it in the swim without getting it wet which i think is a real design fault.

i might ditch it and go Polar rs800!!

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I want something to use while swimming and someone on a forum said the Forerunner 50 was waterproof so I checked it out on the Garmin website. It says that the 50 and 305 are both rated to IPX7 which means it is good for accidental immersion in water to a depth of 1m for 30 minutes. It is certainly not rated for swimming.

Mike

• rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    Morning Britspin -

It has a Lithium-ion rechargable battery , this means unlike the older rechargeables (5+ years ago) it WILL NOT suffer from 'recharge memory' this was a condition where the battery life degraded after many recharges if the battery wasn't fully discharged.

I have only run the battery flat a few times (forgetting to turn it off / leaving it on the bike) since purchasing it Apr 06, and have used several times for 9+ hours hiking / biking without any problems.
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    The 305 is what the garmin website term splash proof and they do say dont swim with it, the garmin 50 however can be used for swimming which I do on a regular basis and find it a great watch.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    I have a 305.Youl find its perfectley normal for it to that.Nothing to worry about.Thinking of upgrading to a 705.lol
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Cheers for the info..I never swim with mine..I know where I am going up&down, up& down repeat..& I know how fast (slow)..Cheers TTX for the lithium thing..that was what was troubling me, I had visions of a 5min usage time if I kept on...& i can't run or bike that fast.