Home Chat General Chat

One Piece or Two Piece Tri suits?

Anyone got any ideas on the subject? prefernces etc? Done a few tri's but always in compression gear and starting to get a bit hot now on the run and slow in the transitions.

Advice always welcome. [:D]

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    One piece..2 piece feel waaaay to much like I am running around in my undies..& no chance of compression, whereas a good tri suit offers some.
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    Personnaly i prefer a one piece tri suit have raced in a tw piece but found it uncomfortable .......

Just have to try these thimgs out for personnal pref.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I have two piece, but only because I had swim/cycle shorts and was pulling on a t-shirt in transition, so I improved things by buying the other half of a tri suit.

Many races later my top has shrunk a bit, and it's starting to feel a bit like I'm wearing a bra-top. Not a good look for any gentleman.[:D]

I'll be buying a 1-piece tri-suit before my next outing. Other than being too tight to buy one in the first place, I can't think of any reason for 2-piece.

Different matter for the ladies, of course, who surely look far better in two piece than one? Shall we have a vote? [8D]
  • woodywoody Posts: 52
    I guess it really depends on your size. I can't get a 1 piece to fit well. It's either correct for the height and baggy in the middle or too shorth and correct, trouble being 5'11 and only a 28" waist.
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Two piece because what if you need to answer a call of nature
  • Two piece - I'm 6'3" and many tri suits don't fit properly. Plus it's handy for the loo.

• Definitely a 1-piece. I used to use a 2 piece and constantly found that the two halves moved so far apart on the bike that I looked like a cross-dressing builder (i.e. bra and far too much bum showing). I would still consider the 2 piece if it was really hot but the 1 piece is far, far more comfortable and convenient (also doesn't ride up under the wetsuit, unlike the 2 piece top). I'm 6'3" and 32" waist so I fall into the hard to fit category that a couple of the other guys mentioned, but I've found that my current 1 piece (2XU elite) fits perfectly, so I think that you should be able to find a good fit if you look.
  • p.s the need for a trisuit that works for a loo break only matters if it's a middle or Ironman distance (in which case I can't comment) - for any shorter distance you shouldn't need a loo break and, for the pre-race pee, there's no need to hitch the top half of the suit over your shoulders until you put on the wetsuit.
  • stevedavis82stevedavis82 Posts: 110
    Thanks guys. Think the majority like 1 piece. Might just invest in both and see which i like the most. Best brands and why?
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    1 piece rules .... but then I have always used bibshorts when cycling so 1 piece tri-suit was the natural choice..... it helps hold the shorts in the right place [:D].

As for the in race 'comfort break' ..... that usually only happens in the first 5 mins of the open water swim .... keeps the legs warm [:)] , I sweat far too much !!!!!

Happy Training

R
  • Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    Over here in Western Australia the majority of the quicker guys wear 1 piece tri suits for most distances, even HIM and IM, I myself as a BOP guy prefer comfort and so in the longer distances (HIM and IM) go for the most comfortable cycling shorts I can find and a tri top/cycle shirt for the bike, and just change the cycle shorts to running shorts/skins for the run. I have done an IM with bib 'n' knicks but the hassle when nature calls is too much! It seemed a good idea before the event but did not work well. Short distances - tri-top and speedos are enough - we have no shame here!

The brands I am using are -

Craft Tri top on probikekit.com - is a great shirt and probably what I will use at IMUK, I may change shirts if raining/freezing.

A choice between Assos, Performance Elite and Sugoi currently being 'road tested' during training.
  • Free Willy - now that I know you wear speedos on the bike and run leg of triathlons I'm starting to realise where you get your user name/nickname from.....
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Bluuuuurt. Cheers Tiring, you just made me spit tuna sandwich all over my screen.

Funniest forum comment ever. Nasty mental image, though.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I'm scarred for life just thinking about it!
  • Free WillyFree Willy Posts: 63
    As I said in my post we have no shame over here!

Nickname is courtesty of a 'friend' of mine after seeing me in my Orca wetsuit.

Cheers

FW!
  • SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Now chaps - theres an idea for a new thread - where our 'names' came from...

I'm away to start on now [:D]