Home Chat General Chat

Aero Bottle

[color="black" size="2"]Hi

I have been looking around at the different options for aero bottles:

[ul][*]Profile aero drink up front[/ul][ul][*]Bontrager aero drink on seat tube ( has dimples as tested on slow twitch)

[/ul][ul][*]Speciallized Virtue Aero Bottle and Cage on the down tube[/ul]There all claim to be the most aero bottle (giving up to 25 seconds over 40k) so wondering what is best/most aero and if any one

has used them?

Andy [/color]

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Hi Andy,

I use the profile design bottle, it fits between your aero bars and means you dont have to stop peddling for a drink. Ive dropped waterbottles during training many times through missing the cage etc.. you dont have this issue on the profile bottle. I think the times you save are very neglegable, its all about making life easier for yourself!![:D]
  • stevsterstevster Posts: 73
    I agree with MG the profile bottle is excellent and doesnt involve moving for than a few inches to drink. The splash gauze in the top is a good idea as well as refilling is quick on longer rides.
  • I think the reason why the profile bottle is so good is because you stay in the aero position the whole time.... Also having it in front of your face forces you to drink, so all the better!

• I agree with MG. I use the profile bottle and like it - basically because it's easy to drink from. Before I got it I always used to drink too little (mainly because I forgot to, but also because I had to come out of the aero position to drink, so I always used to wait for the straight, flat stretch that never came), and I also dropped the bottle a couple of times when I was trying to put it back in the mounting clip on the frame (once during a race). It doesn't hold much water (less than a normal bottle) but you can refill it from frame attached bottles if the race is hot or over Olympic plus distance.
  • DarylDaryl Posts: 10
    I also agree with the previous comments. I use the Profile aero bottle and having the straw sticking in your face when in an aero tuck encourages you to remember to drink. I do find, however, that rough tarmac can result in wet and sticky legs and frame! Any advice on how to get the yellow 'pan scourer' thingie to work more effectively to stop the splashing around?
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Dont use the yellow mesh, I use a sponge, cut to size you can fit it in the neck, so it dosnt spill everywhere. I dont usualy refill mine on the move as I'm "only" doing olympic distance tri. If you feel you need extra bring a small back up bottle, I never bother though, its all about how you train and the amount of fluid you know you need. Some peeps drink a helluva lot when on the bike, but the aero bottle does me fine!
  • i like the look or the profile one but alot of people seem to day

it spills

Andy

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Same concerns for me, but I would like to get the Profile bottle.

Seems like quite a few people have solved the splashing issue, like MG has. Look at this thread:

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=12021

Took me ages to find that one, too. I remembered it from yonks ago. I spend too much time here.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I love my profile. However if you were to get one, it is worth while investing in the bracket to secure it between your aero bars.

I found that the elastics that come with the bottler can on bumpy rides make the bottle splash and bouce around. However the bracket holds it perfectly.

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Splashed out on an aero bottle at the weekend (if you'll excuse the pun!) Tried it out last night on a cheeky 30.

Absolutely superb! I can stay in the tuck position and just sip away as required.

Took a few minutes to get used to - if you go 'head-down, ar$e up' without thinking, you'll get a plastic straw embedded in your forehead.

No issues with splashing, the yellow mesh seemed to have worked well.

Maybe I was just lucky.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I was in my local tri shop the other day and the version of the aero bottle they have there has a black cap to stop the sticky leg syndrome - it looks like they have redesigned it [:)] shame I need my tri bars to far apart to use the bracket though [:(] any suggestions?