Home Chat General Chat

Which to focus on bike or run?

Having just completed my first tri (Westonbirt 2nd Tri) this Sunday I was wondering what people thought was the most important area to improve on for a newbie. I came third in the swim but came 130ish (out of 160) in the bike and run [:(]

Which should I focus on more? I have seven weeks until my next raceand I am trying to plan my time effectively, any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks.

Comments

• transittransit Posts: 163
    Do you have any further performance indicators to which you are stronger in? If not and you are equally adept at both then spread your training across both. Do take into account the amount of time you will be spending during the race in each discipline and factor that in ie the bike will be a longer duration so spend a similar ratio of training on the bike. If you have limited experience in both too then just get a good base level of training in on both disciplines, if you are more experienced not only look at which to work on more but decide where your weakness' are in each discipline e.g. technique, endurance, speed, force etc etc.

On top of that you can also save time by getting T2 (bike to run) quicker both in terms of time in the transition zone but also by doing a few short brick sessions of bike to run in your training so your legs stop going round quicker and start going left right left!!!

Either way at least doing both gives a good bit of variety which for me is what triathlon is all about. Alternatively if you can swim that well become a fish [;)]
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I think a dose of 'BRICK' training could be what the doctor ordered. A brick is where you do one activity after another, the most common brick for a triathlete is bike to run. This can be done in a variety of ways, in the gym, from bike to tread mill. At home, from turbo trainer to road run, or from a road ride to road run (the most realistic).

At the gym I do 15 min bike on moderate resistance to 6 min mile on the treadmill x4 reps

On the road Ill do a steady 25mile ride followed by a 4-5 mile run (gentle pace)

Basicaly theres no hard and fast rules, you tailor the sessions to your time and ability. I truly reccomend these sessions as the reluctance to get the "jelly legs" out of T2 and more importantly my fitness has come on massivly since I introduced them regularly. Well done on your swim by the way!!!
  • stevedavis82stevedavis82 Posts: 110
    Sounds like you've got your swim sorted, i would also recommend bricks. I started them recently and now feel much sttronger heading into the run.

• SamutriSamutri Posts: 143
    Brick sessions are a great tool for improving overall speed and strength. Once you get used to the pain, its also a good pyschological boost.

Incidentally, I was told that the name 'brick' came, not from it being a building block for training, but rather cos they hurt like having your knackers battered with one!
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    Losing weight is the best way to improve both – I recommend adding a long (1-2hrs), low intensity 60% HR (VERY EASY) session per week and an improved diet to your current regime. This can be doing anything you like but its difficult to keep a low HR if running.

p.s. cyling helps with running where as it does nt work so well the other way around
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    In my opinion its both!

The way i look at it is, being decent on the bike should give you a pretty good position overall, as this section is the longest and so has the most influence, but being a quality runner IN ADDITION to being good on the bike will give you a great position and possibly the race win. If you need any example of this you only have to look at the best in the world, i.e. Javier Gomez. If you happened to see the mooloolaba event in march you will have seen Gomez came out of the water way down, he pressed on the bike but I think he had a bit of an accident, then he scorched everyone on the run to take the win by about 30 secs!

Also as I have a running background I am of the belief that the ability to run quick is a natural skill. I'm not saying with the right training you cant improve your running speed considerably, but i think it takes alot more work to improve you running speed that it does to increase bike speed. Sorry, I am probably gonna get killed for saying that!
  • toadtoad Posts: 104
    Incidentally, I was told that the name 'brick' came, not from it being a building block for training, but rather cos they hurt like having your knackers battered with one!

I like this description of brick training.

I have just gone from sprint distance bricks 20km cycles and 5km runs to olympic distance 40km/10km and I would have to admit brick training feels exactly like that except now I feel like i am being battered by 2 bricks instead of 1.

God knows what it is like for those that do iron man events !!!!

• paulfitzpaulfitz Posts: 67
    feel your pain combat, as a competition swimmer in my younger years I do ok on that bit (31/1000+ on swim at Eton) but then have to watch with increasing pain as I get passed by blokes I beat by a couple of minutes at least on the swim sweep past me.on the bike (position 200+ at same event) :(

I dont think there is any substitution for getting the miles in on the bike, and your run will improve anyway.
  • I have also just completed my first triathlon and have the same problem. My swim time was in the top ten, but my bike time was pretty average. My run time was average but I know I can run faster than I did!! With regard to the bike training, I have been out two to three times a week riding between 20 and 40k, on the basis that some of my races are Sprint while others are Olympic. I am considering buying a turbo trainer for those typical English days but am not sure what to go for. Can someone advise me on a some things..... 1. How much benefit is a turbo trainer going to be? 2. If any benefit, what sort of training should I be doing on it?..... and 3. I am on a budget (other half is still on my back about spending 1500 quid on tri gear so far...) and therefore would need a trainer that is good but cheap. Any suggestions?
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Thanks for all your suggestions - I think I will focus on bike (as it is my second best event) and do lots of bricks!! My biggest challenge is (1) time and (2) I can never do a nice flat route on the bike as I live in a really hilly area....might have to look at a turbotrainer for the winter...