Home Chat General Chat

Wetuit repair advice please

I've hired a wetsuit for the season, and after only a couple of uses (including a super sprint) I have noitced a couple of tears in the rubber in the lower back and around the calf area.

Can anyone advise the best way to fix this, and maybe how to avoid this happening more.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Comments

• paulfitzpaulfitz Posts: 67
    that sounds odd after so few uses. I have seen repair gels and things online, but dont think there is much you can do to be honest

If they are in the calf area, it suggests you are maybe pulling it up too harshly, rather than 'moving it' up ur legs. I have put a bit of baby oil on lower legs and ankles to help get it on and off, but not on the outside of suit as it will stop u getting as an efficient kick action
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Thanks Paul.

I've been using copious amounts of Bodyglide. Am making sure that I'm more careful putting it on.

Will look into repair gels. If anyone else has used them, please let me know.

Cheers,

Jon
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I had a similar problem but managed to get some repair stuff called Black witch and is good stuff.Get it on line from wiggle.

[;)]
    Cheers mate. I've ordered some.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    You can use the rubber adhesive solotion that you get in pucture repair kits!... but not for big rips of course

• TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Funnily enough I tried my hire suit for a practice session today and dispite putting it on carefully found two tears in the thigh area after I got it on. So out of interest was it the new Speedo suit STR1.5 you have?

I'd had no problems with the suit I hired last year and although this seems a better suit I'm wondering about the quality (it also looks like a seam is about to go).
    Indeed it is the Speedo suit! Not a good sign.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I tried the witchy stuff..just seemed to leave a glue spot on the suit, got messy & not even sure if it has healed the small fingernail tear...maybe its me.
    Now you have me worried!! I am days away from buying a new suit and was leaning towards a 2XU comp 1 (£211 on Wiggle), BUT I have a contact through a friend with corporate account with Speedo. I was looking at the new suit advertised on Tri and Run site (£325), as I would be able to get it at a price much closer to the 2XU. They call it a Thermal Speedsuit and is green and grey. Is this the one some of you have had probs with?
    paulfitz, It's not that suit, it's a cheaper suit that apparently is only available to wetsuithire. So you may, or may not, have something to worry about!

Jonhinio, I was dubious about the quality like I said, doubly so now. Again to compare notes on mine it seems the blue sections are the dodgy bits, is that where yours tore too?
    Mine's on the lower back and by the bottom seam of the right leg where the fabric changes. Might have to look into this further.
    I've already pinged an email off to them asking if they've had any other complaints (nothing back yet).

It's a bit of a bummer as I was actually considering buying the suit at the end of the year as quite liked it. I don't want to do that if it's dodgy quality, and likewise I don't want to send it back and get stung with a repair bill. That's if it even makes it to the end of the year!!
    Likewise as it's actually a good fit.

PLease let me knwo what you hear back.
    might be worth u starting another thread named after the suit, then others who have had problem may come forward. Could come in useful with wetsuithire later on?
    That's probably a good idea Paul - I've heard nothing back despite sending another chaser, so might as well gather ammo just in case there's problems.