Home Chat General Chat

open water swim locations

meakiemeakie Posts: 124
Hi all

I have registered for the great north swim , will be my first open water swim and I dont know where I can go to train open water.. any ideas? I am in the yorkshire area at the moment.. can anyone help?

I am ok at swimming a mile indoors but I really need to get outdoors. Also, if anyone can give me any training tips: how often, how far, what stroke is best ( I favour breaststroke, will this be a prob?) I would be v grateful

thanks

[:D]

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Best stroke depends on how your freestyle is, and to echo all the O/W threads on here..how much practice you have had, you really do need to practice, practice oh & practice some more.
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58
    Unfortunately I only know OW swim locations in and around London (as that is where I'm based. However, hopefully a Yorshire based forum member will help you out. If not, you might want to speak to someone from a local tri club as they will probably know somewhere (even if its a lido - as at least that will get you used to the colder temp).

I found it physically shocking the first time I swam in OW but now enjoy it (and I'l still been less than ten times in all). Its certainly wtherefore worth going a few times before your event - even if you have to take a bit of a journey to do it.
  • DarylDaryl Posts: 10
    Anyone know of any open water swim locations in Somerset?
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    Yorkshire is a big place! My 'local' is Ellerton Water Park about 8 miles West of Northallerton at the North of North Yorkshire.
  • meakiemeakie Posts: 124
    Britspin wrote:

Best stroke depends on how your freestyle is, and to echo all the O/W threads on here..how much practice you have had, you really do need to practice, practice oh & practice some more.

I know I need to practice! thats why I am asking for o/w venues! I only registered on the swim 10 days ago! [8|]

and thanks dannymack for saying you now enjoy it after first finding it physically shocking, thats given me confidence, cheers [:D]

There is one at salford which is a bit of a drive for me, but worth going to, looks good, anyone swum there? they do a 1 nite a week sesh. think I will have to do that one.

• JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    I haven't got it to hand but this months 220 magazine has a list of open water venues in the UK if that's any help.
    yeah thanks for that, I bought that mag the other day and noticed the salford location in there.

Cheers
    Sorry to labour the practice point..but I too had the terrors on top of my own nonchalance about my first O/W swim & really wouldn't wish it on anyo..no hold on, wouldn't wish it on almost anyone. I do now enjoy it, as much as I can enjoy swimming.
    thats ok, to be honest I know I will be cacking it, I aint just yet as I aint done any yet, but I am wondering about the crawlies that are in the water.. the temperature - stuff getting in my mouth! pah!

( these are all normal things to be worrying about yeah!?) tell me yes!

Perfectly normal..I find the solution to crawlies & any other living objects in the water..keep mouth formly shut ( I did not realise how much pool water I 'swill' in & out of my water until I tried not to in O/W), & splash enough that they are all scared away...or is that MY panic coming out!

Temp never botheres me..not sure why once the cold water is around you in your suit..get swimming works for me.
  • dannymackdannymack Posts: 58

Totally normal concerns I reckon Meakie.

For me there are/were three things - each of which can really put you off your stroke if you're not mentally/physically prepared for them:

(1) It is cold and easy to start hyperventilating either after getting in or after putting your face in. Tip which works for me is to dunk yourself under lots before setting off on your swim.

(2) Its, murky and there and things in there. No guarantees but you're probably bigger than the things in there. If not, swim fast to the shore...

(3) It involves constant swimming. This might not be an issue for you but I didn't realise how much I "used" the sides of the pool until they were not there. Swimming lengths turning in the water at each end rather than touching the sides is helpful.
    OK then.. Keep mouth firmly shut.. hmm, I do tend to get alot of pool water in my mouth too when swimming, so.. any tips? ( other than shut mouth! [8D])

and GOD, I hope I am bigger than the "things" swimming in there, if not, it will be like an episode of jaws! ( any sharks in lake Windemere?!..)

Am I likely to get bitten by anything? I wouldnt have a clue what lurks about in UK lakes to be honest.

Yep I am sounding like a right wuss now, and I could probably cope with Nessy ( would get an autograph or sumthin) but things that bite and wriggle.. eeeeuuuoooooohhh.. deep breaths now..

Thats another thing, breathing.. I am wanting to do breast stroke.. so if I do, I can keep my gob out of the water. DO i need a noseclip? or will that just hinder my breathing?

Anyone caught any diseases from these swims?

You may think I am asking S-TOO-PID questions, but they are all going round my head.. help!

Oh and thanks you guys for replying, appreciate it. [:)]
    p.s I know nessy aint gonna be in windemere before u all pipe up!