Home Chat General Chat

Swimming Phrases

JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
So I now subscribe to 220 Magazine, and am following the training plans set out.

I have one query, what do things like stroke-catchup, stroke-pull mean. I am sure there are other phrases, but just not sure what they all mean.

Comments

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi Jason,

Not sure that the stroke-pull thing is a phrase... generally get these in a warm up plan and it means you do 1 set, say 50m of full "stroke" front crawl and then 50m of pulling (use a pull buoy- float between the legs and only stroke with upper bod) -

catch up is a more specific drill where you swim with one hand out in front of you all the time and one hand does a stroke til it "catches up" with the hand in front and then you swap hands. (easier to do than explain) So rather than your arms always being on the move - one stays in front while the other strokes.

hope this helps a bit... I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better!

Jazdog
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Jason if you want to do "catch up" drill then hold your locker key in one hand and swop it hand to hand like a relay batten every time your hands meet at the front of the stroke. once you have got the hang of this you can "drop" the key

David
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Cheers for that Dave.

I tried it this morning without doing using the key, and I have got a stiff neck now lol.

I will try that next time though.

Cheers

• jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Great tip Dave... never thought of that!