Home Chat General Chat

IM Training Plan

I would like to do an IM but don't know where to start. Wheres the best place to find a training plan?

Comments

• Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    Don Fink is a good one if you have no idea (like me last year). Gives you 3 levels of aspiration - a just get round, an intermediate and a competitive program.
  • Yeah, Don Fink's pretty good. I also like Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible, which appeals to my inner geek - lots of graphs & tables.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    I just got 'triathlete's training bible' as a new years present from my wife. Havent read it yet, but I was pleased to see people recomending it on the forum. Must be a great book [8D]
  • I too would recommend Don Fink's 'be iron fit'. I am currently at the end of week 10 of 30 of the Intermediate program for Lanzarote in May (my first IM).

I also bought Joe Friel's 'Going Long' but this doesn't have a set program to follow.

Good luck in your training
  • Cheers guys, really appreciate the guidance. Now for the easy bit...the training!! lol
  • Like above, have found the IronFit book very helpful and have followed that as best as possible.

I am in week 15 of 30 with the aim of the UK IM this Sept. Realise that I am 2 weeks behind, so will push things along somewhere!

The only thing missing from the programs in IronFit is some guidance on priority of the sessions. I know this could be a personal thing; but as with life some training will be missed so it would be great to have a scale something like must do, should do, could do....just thinking aloud!

Otherwise, enjoying the training and take confidence from other peoples support for this method.

Good luck

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    ThreeLittleFonzys wrote:

Like above, have found the IronFit book very helpful and have followed that as best as possible.

I am in week 15 of 30 with the aim of the UK IM this Sept. Realise that I am 2 weeks behind, so will push things along somewhere!

The only thing missing from the programs in IronFit is some guidance on priority of the sessions. I know this could be a personal thing; but as with life some training will be missed so it would be great to have a scale something like must do, should do, could do....just thinking aloud!

Otherwise, enjoying the training and take confidence from other peoples support for this method.

Good luck

i think someone else had that idea too....
  • Hi I completed my first IM 2 weeks ago following Don Finks intermediate program . I managed about 85% of training with missed sessions due to injury or work.

Its a great weight loss program as well. In 30 weeks I lost 2 Stone!!